Thursday, September 14, 2006

A new Rockstar? I don't think so...

I don't do reality TV. Never got into Survivor. Never watched Big Brother. The Donald? No, thanks. But a show about Rock n Roll? With the back up band from hell? (and I mean that in the most awestruck way). Count me in! I mean, come on. I have a rockstar husband, rockstar kids, and I am a huge rock fan myself. So... it was with great joy that Bob and I discovered RockStar: INXS last year. Only to be horribly disappointed when they chose JD over Marty.

We spent the fall wondering who the next band would be. Van Halen? Could they do that to David Lee Roth? What a slap in the face that would be to him. So, who else? Ok, Put the drummer from Motley Crue, the bass player from Metallica and the rhythm guitarist from Guns N Roses together and you get a pretty screamin' metal band. Cool. Supernova seems a bit pretentious to me as a name for a metal band, but, hey. This is Hollywood :)

We watched Rockstar: Supernova. Religiously. The talent pool was definitely not as deep as it was last year, but, then again, the image-oriented focus seemed to fit the band. And, for the most part, we agreed as one contestant after another was eliminated. Until last night.

WTF were these people thinking?!?! First things first. When they dumped Magni, I knew that was coming. I have to say, I was relieved for him. I felt so bad that he missed his baby's first steps. That's one of the reasons that Bob decided it was ok that he didn't get signed. He wasn't out on tour when the kids were babies.

Ok. Magni down. But Toby? Pu-leeze!!! And the audience agreed with me. They were pissed off. Maybe they thought he was too 'normal'. But here's what I thought. First, that boy can sing! And he has personality! And what a front man! He definitely had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand each and every performance. They loved him. That's what a front man does. Obviously, he was my choice.

Ok, Toby down. Why not Dilana? If they want to distinguish themselves from the other bands in their genre, the way to do it would be with a female singer. She has it all. Raspy Janis Joplin voice. Beautiful soully voice (is soully a word?). Personality. I can only think of 2 things. First , the controversy a few weeks ago over her comments about Lukas. BS. Please tell me that Tommy Lee never said anything about Vince Neal or Nikki Sixx. Don't think so. Or that no one in Guns N Roses ever said anything about Axl Rose. Uh uh. Maybe, just maybe Jason Newsted is exempt. I never heard any nasty rumors about Metallica (Bob? You may know more than me...). So to knock her out based upon that would be hypocritical. So the only thing I can think of is that Jason and Gilby figured that Tommy would sleep with her lickety split and they'd need to find a new lead singer again.

That leaves... Lukas. Well... we'll have to see. I'm thinking I'll be buying Toby's and Dilana's albums and hearing them on the radio with their catchy tunes long after Supernova has broken up. What do you think, INXS? Haven't heard another single off your CD other than Pretty Vegas.

So, who do you think the band will be next year?

6 People Gabbed:

Anne said...

Wow, I'm surprised to say that I don't agree with you on this one. I loved Lukas from the minute I saw him and thought he was perfect for Supernova with his freaky-ass looks and raspy-growly voice. His physical appearance and vocal quality are perfect for the band.

Now Toby, he'll make it, of course... but I think he's more of an alternative type. Not really fitting of the hard-rock image that Supernova has.

Dilana-- Well both me and my hubby agreed that she wouldn't be the one... why? As sad as it is, it's because she's a woman. And I say that for multiple reasons. one, because if she hooks up with one of the guys and they break up, they band is done. Two, the guys aren't going to want to deal with women on tour... they want to fuck everything in sight and don't want hormonal women who get their period and PMS cramping their style. Yes, I can see those three guys being that sexist... as pathetic as it is. Her voice rocks! She'll make it, but she'll do it without them... and you know what? That may not be a bad thing. : )

Magni never should have made it that far. I, personally, thought Ryan was much better than Magni and so was that Storm chick.

Just my 2 cents

Nikki said...

Oh Lori---You are a rocker, too! So am I, my husband and my son! My son and husband play guitar. My husband played in a rock band when he was in the Air Force. We a rockers to the core. I want to come and see your husbands band sometime. Let me know when they are playing and we will be there.

Anyway, we have watched Rockstar INXS and Supernova, every week. Tried to never missed an episode. I loved Dilana from the beginning. I wanted her to win. My husband always said she wouldn't because it would cramp the guys style because the want to screw every female who offers. I never liked Lukas! Never. I couldn't understand him when he was singing. And the last couple of weeks when he was singing his original called "You make my head spin", my husband and I laughed the whole time, wondering which "head" he meant. You can't figure it out because you can't understand him!!

Magni was good, I thought. I liked him better than Toby. I liked it when he sang that Live song(can't remember which one).

The girls(in the audience) really liked Toby, but pretty boys(in rock) are not my thing. If I go see the tour, which I doubt, I would see the opener(Dailana) and leave. The songs that Gilby wrote were awful! That one Lukas sang last night--it's just bad. This band will do this tour and then it will be over. Magni, Toby and Dailana can have careers if the hook up with the right people.

I love Metallica. I am a huge fan and when Jason left it wasn't pretty. The movie they made called "Some Kind of Monster" was awesome and it talks about when Jason left with interviews and everything. And Dave Mustaine is in it. (Now, he is hot!!) Really good movie, even if you don't like that group.

Last year was so much better! I liked Marty way better than JD or JT or whatever his name is! I want to get Marty's disk but never got around to it.

If they do this next year I am want to be in the audience. Do you want to go with me? If they could get Van Halen, what a coup!!
I can't think of anyone else who needs a lead singer.

Lori said...

Nikki - I would kill to go with you! We could be groupies (except my boobs aren't big enough LOL).

And I agree, Toby is a pretty boy, but come on, all those 80s bands had pretty boys as their frontmen. Ok, except Metallica lOL.

I was definitely nOT impressed with the Supernova stuff. Found myself wondering how Jason Newsted hooked up with Tommy Lee, for crying out loud!

We are big Metallica fans here as well. Love 'em. It does a mom proud when your kids can identify Metallica on the radio, when they've never heard the song, they just know the music and the voice *g*.

When my oldest was in preschool and they were supposed to bring in their favorite song, he wanted to bring in Crazy Train. We tried to explain to him that they were talking Disney, not Ozzy LOL!

Nikki said...

Cool you're on! We'll go.

I have almost the same story about my son. He was suppose to bring his favorite song on CD to school so one of the other Moms could burn CDs with all the childrens favorite songs(on one disk) to give out. Well, they were mostly Disney, but my son had Queensryche! The Mom says to me "I just didn't know where to put that song so I put it on the end of the CD" It was so funny!

Kristie (J) said...

I started watching this when there were about 8 or 9 singers left and was hooked right off the bat. I had a hard time picking who I wanted to win. I think they chose right with Lukas. Ryan - very good, but he just didn't seem to match the band. Same with Toby. I loved his voice and think he'll go far but again he didn't quite "match" I loved Storm and Dilana and thought either of them would be great - but then as you said, mixing a woman with Tommy Lee could lead to disaster - and that's such a shame because they are gooooood!! Magni - I liked but yep - he's a dad and from Iceland so the separation would be hard. The only knock I have on Lukas is he seems so much younger than the rest of the band. To be honest and it's a shame, I can't really see this band lasting for a long time. But it would be nice to be proven wrong.

Anonymous said...

Well babe, rumor was that Jason didn't get enough input into writing the songs, so he walked. That's about all I know.