Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Series Reading

Just started to say something, then stopped and laughed.

Started to say: "Awhile back, Alyssa listed her must-read series and invited the rest of us to do the same."

Key words--'awhile back.'

I'm always late to online invites and parties. Alyssa's post prompted me to think of all the series I follow. KristieJ's DIK challenge, brought to my attention by Lori the other day, prompted me to think hard on my all-time fave reads. So, plenty of thinking going on over here, just not much writing/responding.

Also brings to mind the fact that whenever I read a great blog review, I note the book on my TBR list. And often, it is months--sometimes even a year or more--before I get around to snagging and reading the book. After which, I'll do my own review. What is that? Delayed viral marketing? LOL

At any rate, back to my favorite series. Once I started listing them, I realized just how many there are and how much of my anticipated reading stems from 'the next installment.'

Mine, like Alyssa's, fall into different categories. My must-read-the-moment-they-release category includes:

J.D. Robb, In Death
Suzanne Brockmann, Troubleshooters
Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Chicago Stars
Tara Janzen, Steele Street
Gennita Low, more of her connected books
Maria V. Snyder, Poison (series or trilogy, not sure, but poised for the next one)
Nalini Singh, Psy-Changling
Sarah McCarty, Hell’s Eight and Promises
Anne Stuart, Ice
Elizabeth Hoyt, Legend Of The Four Soldiers

Must-be-in-the-mood-for-dark:

J.R. Ward, Black Dagger Brotherhood
Marjorie M. Liu, Dirk and Steele
Lydia Joyce, Of The Night
Colleen Gleason, Gardella Vampire Chronicles
Christine Feehan, Ghostwalkers
Kresley Cole, Immortals After Dark

I-know-they'll-be-there-comfort-reads:

Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum
Stephanie Laurens, Bastion Club
Cindy Gerard, The Bodyguards
Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krantz, Arcane Society

Thanks again to Alyssa for sparking this train of thought. It was a relaxing exercise.

2 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

Yup, nodding for the most part. I can do without the Stephanie Plums (don't throw tomatoes... errr... plums)

And all the paranormals, well.. nuff said.

And yuppers, still haven't started the In Death series, LOL!

Ruth said...

Great list! I just read my first Suzanne Brockmann last week and I'm hooked on the Troubleshooters series now.

I like the way you divided these up. I'm not so much for the dark stuff, although I do really like anything by P. F. Kozak, which is definitely paranormal, but not always dark.

I have a feeling mosst of these will end up on my TBR list, but like you mentioned, it may be ages before I get around to buying them all. :)