Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Things I've Learned This Week
This one is mainly about my father. He had a heart attack last Friday and had to have triple bypass surgery. Thankfully he survived and is now home and recovering. It was hard,and he was lucky. The doctor said he must have had an angel sitting on his shoulder because the artery they call the "widow maker" was 95% clogged, another was 80%, and another 50%. Normally people with that much gunk in their arteries don't make it.
They took a vein from his leg, removed the clogged portions of the artery, and replaced them with the vein. He's now good to go, but they did open heart surgery which required cutting open and cracking his chest, then spreading his ribs. It's going to take a long time for him to recover, but he will. He had a breathing tube for a day and a half, a chest tube for two days, at one point he had six IVs running, a jugular catheter that looped through his heart, a balloon catheter going from his vein into his heart that pumped every third beat for the first day and half, a urine catheter, and a central line (an IV line going directly to his heart). He also had to have a transfusion. He's one lucky guy, and I'm going to do my best to NOT take for granted the fact that I think he's going to be around forever.

It's been one hell of a year. *sigh*

There are a few off-topic ones on the list, just because I was annoyed

  1. Life really is too short.
  2. If you don't feel well, don't wait to go to the doctor. GO! Waiting only prolongs the inevitable.
  3. I really love my dad. Much more than I ever realized.
  4. I've missed my sister. A LOT.
  5. My mom gets bitchy when she's over-stressed. Who can blame her?
  6. I have really awesome friends, and most of them are online. Love you guys!
  7. Stress makes you tired.
  8. Fear is a bitch.
  9. Life is fragile.
  10. Some people are misunderstood.
  11. Some people are understood and really are scary.
  12. Sometimes you have to work harder than you want to.
  13. Some people just don't get it.
  14. And an extra one, just because... Lori and Bob are meant to be. *sigh*


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!



4 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

You've had a rough week, babe. I'm so glad your dad is home, and that you and your sister were able to have a good few days together. You SO need a vacation! And while I hope that you're able to go to Ohio, I'm thinking that a sunny So Cal beach is looking good *g*...

ps. i agree with 1,2,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13, AND 14 :)

Anonymous said...

It's truly hard to face the mortality of people who mean so much to us. I'm sorry you've had such a hard week, sweetie.

KateS said...

*sniff* Hugs to you, hun.

Jenster said...

Oh Anne. I'm so sorry for all this crap, but I'm glad things seem to be okay.

I love the things you've learned this week. Great life lessons that most of us probably know, but don't realize until we're in this type of situation.