Monday, April 16, 2007

Getting back in the game... and other reading ramblings

I think that the 60 hour work weeks may be over... at least for a while. Which means that I can start getting back in the game over here and over at I Just Finished Reading...

I have done a lot of reading, but have not been good about updating my spreadsheet. I wondered how long that would last. Ummm...... a month? LMAO! I'm gonna try to get it updated in the next couple of weeks. Once I do that, I may even be able to get a few reviews written. I know I read some good books, but I'm damned if I can remember any of them right now!

Bob was cleaning out his email because we have to migrate over from Adelphia to Roadrunner. So he was wondering if I'd ever gotten around to using my Amazon gift certificate. Oops, forgot all about it! So off I went to see what had been sitting in my cart for, literally, months. Turns out, a lot. Plus I got rid of some stuff back to my wish list and added some stuff. Signed up for the Amazon Prime free trial, because I just felt greedy and wanted these books NOW. So here's what I ordered (And I still have something like $60 left to redeem. Score!):

Patience: Lisa Valdez (doesn't come out till May 1)
Chasing Stanley: Deirdre Martin (hope it's better than The Penalty Box)
High Country Bride: Linda Lael Miller (Rafe's story)
Shotgun Bride (McKettrick Cowboys Trilogy): Linda Lael Miller (Kade's story)
The Naked Earl: Sally MacKenzie
Take Me Tonight (Bullet Catchers, No 3): Roxanne St. Claire
Gideon: Jacquelyn Frank (comes out the end of May)

I can't wait for the 2 McKettrick books! And only 2 more weeks until Patience comes out, people!!!! Woohoo!

Amazon has a 4 for the price of 3 going on right now, in case y'all didn't know.

Oh, and Jeff came home today! My baby is home safe and sound. He had a great time in DC. I'll tell you all about it later in the week...

14 People Gabbed:

Amie Stuart said...

Lori i'm sorry to break it to you but Patience isn't coming out in May

http://www.lisavaldez.com/news.html

Anne said...

I think you could have skipped the Deidre Martin one... I only got through chapter one and put it down and haven't bothered to get it from the library again. Too chick-lit and not all that good. But that's just me. Sigh.

Bummer on the Lisa Valdez thing.

I'm glad you're back, and I sure as heck hope your work-weeks get back to normal. All work and no play is not good for the Lori *G*

*smooches*

reviewer said...

LOL, how could you forget to use the GC?? I used mine up within hours of getting them.

Glad to hear you will be posting more reviews soon.

Lori said...

O.M.G!!! I am so bummed! It's only 2 weeks away, and Amazon still has May 1 up as the release date. Whaddup?!?! *crying now*

And I'm bummed about the Martin book, too. She started out so promising. I usually share your opinions of books, Anne, and I really ddon't like the chick-lit thing, but I'll keep an open mind. I've put off buying it for so long since I felt so wishy-washy about the Penalty Box. Darn it. Well, we'll see.

Thanks, Chantal :) I hope to be writing some reviews soon. I've read a lot of books, just haven't had the oomph to write anything up.

Holly said...

I read the new Bullet Catchers book and thought it sucked. Talk about a TSTL heroine. Blech. But you might like it. :P

Glad things are settling down for you again. I hate working 60 hour weeks.

BIG HUGS!

Rosie said...

I love westerns and have been avoiding the McKettrick books by LL Miller. I used to be a huge fan of hers but started to feel like she was phoning the books in. I've picked up a McKettrick book several times in the bookstore but always put it back.

What do you think about them?

Lori said...

Rosie, I love the McKettrick historicals (I've read two of them, and these two on my list here are the other two). I think they're terrific. The contemporaries are pretty much like anyone else's contemps. Nothing special (although I've reall all three in the new trilogy), but not terrible.

Rosie said...

Lori the McKettricks are historical and contemp, right? Okay, so how many historicals are there 2 or 4? I was confused about that and do you have to read the contemps do they tie in to the historicals or can you read the historicals separately?

Lori said...

There are 4 (and a half) historicals. I say a half because one of them is a dual contemp and historical - tells two stories at the same time. The historicals are the 4 original McKettrick brothers. They take place in Arizona in the 1880s. They are:
High Country Bride (Rafe)
Shotgun Bride (Kade)
Secondhand Bride (Jeb)
McKettrick's Choice (Holt)
Sierra's Homecoming (this one straddles contemp and historical)

The contemps are:
Sierra's Homecoming
McKettrick's Luck
McKettrick's Pride
McKettrick's Heart

You can easily read either line separately. Especially the historicals. The contemps refer to the "history" of the McKettrick family, but you certainly can read them without reading the historicals. I'd say that the historicals are far better than the contemps. The contemps aren't bad, just nothing truly special. You know what I mean? The historicals are really good, though.

Lori said...

Oh, and I did a quick review of 2 of the historicals over at Don't Talk Just Read a while back...

http://donttalkjustread.blogspot.com/2007/03/mckettricks-by-linda-lael-miller.html

If that helps any...

Rosie said...

Lori, it helps tremendously. Thanks so much. Like I said I like westerns and used to be a LL Miller fan but I've been reluctant to try anything of hers lately. I think I'll give the historical McKettricks a try.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

This is the second blog in a week where I've read about Patience by Lisa Valdez. I heard so many good things about Passion but never got around to reading it. I guess I need to--and then her next one will be waiting for me. ;)

Marianne Arkins said...

I thoroughly enjoyed "Chasing Stanley"...it was my first Deidre Martin book (I'm a hockey freak and an animal freak, so it was a must read) I'm dying to read the Bullet Catchers series -- is it good?

Lori said...

Marianne, so far I've loved the Bulletcatchers. It's similar to the Janzen Crazy series, the Cindy Gerard series, or the Jacey Ford series (the name of which escapes me).

And if you liked Chasing Stanley, then I can assume ytuo'd really enjoy Martin's first few books. I loved the first one (very centered around trhe hockey rink) and they all seemed to go a bit downhill for me after that, but something keeps me picking them up...

Alyssa, I can't recommend Passion strongly enough. We've got 2 reviews of it up over at don't talk just read, so you should be able to find those as well.

http://donttalkjustread.blogspot.com/2006/09/what-i-read-on-my-summer-vacation-part.html
and
http://donttalkjustread.blogspot.com/2006/05/passion-by-lisa-valdez.html

Happy reading!