Tuesday, June 06, 2006

So I'm reading....

Sherrilyn Kenyon's lastest Dark-Hunter story-- Dark Side Of The Moon, got it from the library cause lately her DH stuff has been iffy for me, so I wasn't going to pay for a HC that I wasn't sure I'd like.

Anyway, I was reading it and I wasn't sure I was liking it and I couldn't figure out why. Normally I finish her books in a matter of a day, two at the most... I'm on day five. Just today I figured out why I don't like it. She makes Ravyn out to be a sissy boy. *sigh* Some of the things he says, no Alpha hero would EVER say.

For example: Ravyn asks Susan if she would like something to drink. She replies with coffee.

He asks, "Black?"She says, "Cream and sugar, or a caramel Macchiato is always welcomed."
He says, "Ooo, a Starbucks woman after my own heart."

WTF? What ALPHA MALE says "Ooo"?

I could point out other examples, but I can't be arsed. It's not worth the time. I'll finish the book because I want to see what happens with Stryker and all that, but damn!! Why did SK go and write Ravyn as a wussy boy?? It's very disappointing as I think Susan (the heroine) is the Alpha of this book. Not my cup of tea. Bleh.

Anyone else read this one? What are your thoughts?

4 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

It's the name: Ravyn. How is that a manly name? I keep thinking of Raven from "That's So Raven". She's exactly the type of person to deliver the "Ooo, a Starbucks..." line.

Joni said...

Awww Anne, such a dillemma this must pose for you! I'd have read it the way it should have been than how it was written and replace that conv with "A Starbuck's slut after my own heart!" hahaha With it the way it is, his name should have been Ashley (the wussy character in GWTW)...LOL JMHO based on your comment as I've not read one of her DH books as of yet! hahaha

Devon said...

That's hilarious! I noted this dumb line (as I did so many others). I don't know how I forgot it. Frankly, the combo of the "oooo" and the caramel macchiato (apparently enjoyed by Ravyn), take him out of the Beta realm and almost into the gay best friend realm. Sigh. This was another disappointment in what seems to be streak for Kenyon. I just wrote a grumpy review of this book.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »