Wednesday, June 28, 2006

New Poll And Question

I've got a new poll up over there

<------------------------------

just for my own nosiness, I'm curious to see what you all have to say.

I'd be most appreciative if you'd take the time to cast your vote.

Thanks!

Now, the question... I joined a crit group, and I got this back as one of the comments (it was a dream sequence-BTW)

Okay the first thing I noticed right off the bat is that you formatted this all in italics. If this a dream sequence, it should be underlined and not in italics. Of course if your targeting in e-book publisher, than it’s okay to leave the italics.


So, is this a correct statement? I've never seen anything underlined but rather italicized. Opinions? Please? Thanks!

10 People Gabbed:

Linda said...

Underlined? Never. Italics, absolutely - in print as well as ebooks. FWIW. :)

Linda

Marg said...

Never seen anything underlined as far as I can recall.

Linda said...

Would you believe the book I just started this morning begins with a dream sequence WHICH IS IN ITALICS? It was published by Lovespell in 2004 so it's fairly up-to-date.

How's that for timing?! LOL

Linda

Jaynie said...

When submitting to NY, anything you want in italics in the final book is submitted with the words underlined. That's just standard formatting for print. Somewhere along the way, it gets turned into italics for the final product.

At least, that's how it always used to be. Could have changed in the past couple of years.

Amie Stuart said...

Jaynie is correct. If you are subbing to NY anything you want italicised is actually underlined, and when the book is typeset, you get your italics. If you are subbing to an epub, then you italicise.

Anonymous said...

It's a proofing symbol. (you learn this in law review) Proof Reading Symbols

Shakespeares Sister said...

Anne,

I'm sorry, I totally forgot about that thingie and didn't tell you when I was looking at your manuscript. It's fine to have italics if you're subbing to an e-publisher, but when sending to an NYC house, you should underline anything you want italicized.

Hey, I'm so glad you have a new critique group! That's awesome! I hope you'll enjoy it. When I had more time in my life, I LOVED doing critiques. I learned a ton about writing that way.

Hugs,
Shelby

Linda said...

I've got a question about NY publishing: If all underlining gets italicized, how do you indicate to the publisher there is something you actually WANT underlined? Off the top of my head, I can't recall seeing anything underlined in a book. Maybe that's why. Hmmmm.

Linda

Amie Stuart said...

Crap...LInda...I have no clue but I don't think I've ever seen anything underlined either.

Unknown said...

Underline when submitting to a NY publisher. That tells them it should be italicized when printed. I don't know why that is, only that it is. I'm guessing it's easier for them to see. Or maybe it's just a silly rule someone started for who knows why.

Go ahead and italicize for ebook publishers. Then it's already set up for them.

I've never seen an underline in a published book, either.