Thursday, April 20, 2006

What would we do without our Romance Reading friends?

I love that I have found such a great community of friends online. Some better than others *wink wink*. What brought this on? Well, while on vacation last week, I was lucky enough to bring along a shitload of books that I received from my good friend Anne. (*GASP* - she said shitload! Check out KarenS's blog if you aren't sure what the fuck hell on earth I'm talking about. ) Oh crap. Now I owe $1.25 to the jar. Oops, make it $1.50. I said crap. (believe it or not, this is a designated bad word according to the AC/DC lover)

Where was I? Oh yes, good friends. See, there I was, going on a 5 day ski/snowboard vacation with the family, and my son managed to break his leg 3 days before we left. And I'm the designated company keeper for said ray of sunshine. Oy. What to do? I know - I'll catch up on my reading! What to read? OK, load up the ebookwise with all the stuff I've bought but haven't read yet. Check. What else? Let's see... just the week before, I got this ginormous (I love that word!) box in the mail from Anne. Filled with above referenced shitload... yes, shitload, of books. All of them on my TBR list. Some right there at the top. Those fan-frickin-tabulous Cindy Gerard books. And they are sooooo good! I won't review them here, Anne did a
whole topic on them a while back. I did give them a mention over at Don't Talk, Just Read, aka I Just Finished Reading... So, thank you, Anne! What else was in my little bundle of joy? 2 Pamela Brittons, and the new Deirdre Martin. So cool. And what was waiting for me when I got home? Another little something. Thanks again.

My point here? I do have one. Where else would I have come across such a wonderful, warm, giving person who happens to live 2000 miles away? I have met so many great people online who share my passion for romance reading. No one I know here where I live does (at least not that they admit openly *g*). I have nobody else to share books, opinions, ideas, funny stories, or blogging with. When I think that it all started out with a recommendation on Amazon.com 1 year ago. You know... Readers who bought XXX also bought YYY? Seems Lori Foster readers (or was it Emma Holly) also like Sarah McCarty books. And thank goodness! I can't imagine my life any other way anymore. Can you?

10 People Gabbed:

Kristie (J) said...

Isn't it just wonderful having a whole network of people out there who share your passion? I'm in the same boat in that most of my friends are non-readers of romance. Since they are such a passion with me, it used to get pretty frustrating not being able to share it with any one. Then I discovered message boards and then after that a whole communtiy of romance bloggers to 'talk' to. It's been wonderful!!
And I love Cindy Gerrards's books too! Have you tried Tara Janzen? Her's are in the same kind of vein and they're great!

Karen Scott said...

I completely effing agree with you Lori! I've 'met' some great people in the romanceland. And Anne is totally the Vicar's Knickers!

I see Kristie's touting her wares again, lol! Yes, Tara Janzen's books are FABULOUS!!! Thanks for the recs chuck!

Anne said...

*sniffle* You all choke me up. I am so feeling the love. *sniffle* Thank you all for your wonderfully kind words about me. Who knew that my giving nature would mean so much to so many people? I LOVE to share books, especially if I know the person I'm sharing with will like them. Some books I share with Karen just for the simple fact I want to see her rip them apart in her reviews *G* (Yes, I'm evil) But damn, some of the books that have come out of late truly suck and the Amazon reviews show it to be true.

So, once again, Lori, *sniffle* thanks for the kind words, I'm so very happy to share great books with you whenever I can, hopefully I can keep the bad ones to a minimum *G*... I'm not sure what the Vicar's knickers means, Karen, but it sounds like kind praise from a good friend and for that I thank you.

You all are the best!

Lori said...

LOL! I'm thinking the Vicar's knickers is probably a good thing over there in Jolly old England, but here in the good old US of A, it's just plain creepy *g*. Brings to mind priests and pants and little children and all. *snicker*

And Kristie, I do believe that Tara Janzen is next on my list - courtesy of none other that you-know-who *g*. I believe Anne will be having a good drunk on me when we meet up in June - so excited about that!

Joni said...

Awww...although we briefly met in Reno, I so can't wait to converse with you longer at Lori F's get-together in June. I'll be sitting with the Mobettes no doubt, with hubby beside me! Glad you made it back from your ski-ing trip in one piece and that your son was able to enjoy it in spite of his leg. I soo agree on the amount of friends you make that you can talk about those romance books to that you just can't find in your own neighborhood and community, or even with close family members! What's even more exciting is that each of these on-line romance junky friends are the most genuine people you will ever come across than the ones that live closest to you! Weird how that is, huh?

Keep on blogging so I'll have an excuse to visit here more often,
Joni :::grin:::

Anne said...

BTW Lori... you owe over $2.00 from your post here and on Don't talk, just read. LOL NOT including Karen's blog... your cursing is out of control! LOL

Lori said...

LOLOL!! WTF do you mean, Anne?

Karen Scott said...

Don't worry Anne, the Vicar's Knicker's is a good thing!

And yeah, Lori's swearing is totally out of control, godammit!

Anonymous said...

(tip toeing in as I'm supposed to be writing) I have to agree with Lori, and Anne, and Joni, and Karen. I love the on line community I've found. When I first published, I was a lonely writer. As I chose to start writing erotic western historicals, other writers didnt' know what to say to me. They would try to be encouraging, but as everyone "knew" Western historicals didn't sell, no one wanted to get my hopes up. I had faith in the Promise series, but sometimes it was lonely in that belief. I started a yahoo group with a sigh and the thought that I would be talking to myself. I was astounded when people started joining. Astounded and encouraged, because though it took months for reviews to come in on Promises Linger (reviewers were wary of an erotic western historical too) I was in the process of writing the second book in the series. With no feed back on the first and meant to be encouraging words from fellow writers to the effect I could always switch genres, a tough place to be for a newbie writer, I sometimes wondered if I was fooling myself about the potential of my series. Fortunately, my editor and my yahoo group were staunch in their enthusiasm and I admit I clung to that enthusiam to get me through. And when the reviews came in, I raced right back to my online friends, formerly known as my yahoo group, *G* and shouted to the ceiling for the simple reason this was a group of wonderful, friendly people who had shared my negative moments and I so wanted them to be part of the positive too.

I still report everything to my yahoo friends/group first. And as you all know, hang out there quite a bit just for the pleasure of everyone's company. I'm so glad I set up a chat group verus a news letter, because without it, I never would have gotten to know the marvelous group of people who have been so supportive of me through the highs and lows of my career, weightloss, child rearing issues, etc. And I've found when I get to meet on line friends in person, they are just as genuine and just as wonderful. So I agree with Lori, online communities have led me to some great relationships with phenomeal people that I cerish.

Oh, and Lori, having now experienced Krispy Cremes, I think you should have to pay for your language lapses in terms of glazed doughnuts. *G*

Sarah, also rejoicing that she got an easy to see word verification too!

Jennifer B. said...

A little late to the party and hug-fest, but I feel it too. And Anne, you are the one in the million--warm, generous and stand-up. A true friend.

Lori - Swear all you like. G I won't charge you cuz I'll take my laughs wherever I can get them. And between you, Anne and KarenS, my sides hurt. G