Tuesday, April 04, 2006

This Week On American Idol....

So, this week was Country week, which most people would think would be easy right? Not so for half of the AI contestants this week.

It started off with Taylor singing Country Roads by John Denver. What are we in the 1970's? For God's sake man! Get a CLUE! It was absolutely horrible. Ick.

Then came Mandisa.. she sang Shania Twain's Any Man Of Mine. Not a good song choice for Mandisa. It was more talk-singing and Mandisa is best and really heart-felt singing. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

Next up was Elliot. WTF was that and how in the hell did the judges think that was good? I can't even remember what song it was... Blech! Awful is putting it mildly.

Then came Paris... I love little Paris. This week she looked super cute and she sang the most difficult song of them all. She did LeAnn Rimes' How Do I Live? And though it started out a bit rocky and some parts were pretty sharp and off key, I thought she did well for such a complex song. You go Paris!

Next was Ace. Oh, Ace. You did Keith Urban proud by singing Tonight I Wanna Cry. Oh yes. It was wonderful and heartfelt and sexy and oh lah lah I thought he was HOT. Sizzle factor: 10.

Then came Kellie. Well, if she had had a hard time tonight that would have been pretty telling wouldn't it? But, she had a good night.. singing Reba's Fancy. She did a really good job and the song suited her well. Well done!

Now we have Chris. Chris, Chris, Chris!! *sigh* Chris has showed us his rocker side since the competition began, but tonight, he showed us that he's more than just a hard or alternative rocker... he can do it all. He can do ballads. He sang Keith Urban's Memories Of Us and it was absolutely flawless. *LONG drawn out sigh* Phenomenal.

Up comes Katharine. What the hell song was that? You Bring Out The Elvis In Me? Who sang that? She did okay on it, but the song... horrible. Not her best choice though she did sing it well. If Katharine would pick the right song, she'd be off-the-charts amazing.

Lastly, was Bucky. He sang Gary Allen's The Best I've Ever Had (which was also done by Vertical Horizon). He did a great job on a song I despise and by artists I find deplorable. Amazingly enough, hearing Bucky sing it with his growly and gravely voice, made it really enjoyable. Fabulous job Bucky!

So there are my recaps of tonight's show. Anyone agree? Disagree?

I've also got a bone to pick about Simon. Two weeks ago when they had to sing 50's songs and Chris came out and rocked it up with Johnny Cash's Walk The Line, Simon said it was teriffic and that he liked that Chris didn't compromise who he was and stuck true to who he was. Then last week when they had songs of the 21st century and Chris came out singing Creed's What If?, Simon said that America was going to get sick of hearing him sing the same thing over and over. Okie dokie. So this week Chris does a ballad.. as stated above, Keith Urban's Memories Of Us and did a fan-freaking-tastic job... and Simon said it was boring. Okay dude... what do you want from the guy? Rock? Or something different? Simon is changing his mind more than a kid in a candy store who is told he can have one candy bar for free. Make up your effing mind man! You're confusing the guy... just let him do what he does best.. sing. He knows how to choose the song that fits him as he's demonstrated every single week of this competition. If Chris were to cut a CD of all the songs he has sung thus far in the competition, I'd be the first in line to buy it... that's how good he is. So Simon, either make up your mind, or back the hell off!

Ahem... okay. Rant over. : )

4 People Gabbed:

Kristie (J) said...

What Simon wants is for Kellie to win and if that means sabotaging who I think is the best (Chris) then so be it. At least that's what I think. I didn't like Taylor's rendition. I like that song but he sang in double speed. Mandisa - I liked it. Elliot? thought it was dreadful. I think Ace is cute as a bug, but I found it very nasally. The one I liked the best was Bucky. I don't know - I really like him. Don't think he's going to win - but I like him.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Chris...Ace is only getting by because he's pretty and the only female I really enjoy is little Paris...I figure though that regardless of who wins I'll be buying Chris's first cd...also I don't think Kelly will win because the last winner was a blonde country singer so it will probably be a guy this time or one of the other females...it seems doubtful that the same type would be picked twice in a row...

Joni said...

I agree with some of what Anne said and all of what you said, Kristi except I really thought Paris did the best of all for the girls tonight and Chris for the guys! He sounded similar to Jon Bon Jovi and a little bit like the lead singer of Lifehouse combined! I don't think Kellie's going to make it all the way through no matter what Simon might want since America's votes are what determines it all, but she did well tonight! I can see Mandisa and Chris as the remaining two since they've been more consistent to date! I really like Taylor, though, but have a feeling it's going to be close between him and Paris coming in third.

Anonymous said...

Okay as someone who rarely watches but when I do, it seems people are a glutton for punishment. I would flog Simon in public after having to listen to his crude and rude comments. The only thing he has put together that I truly enjoy is the group IL DIVO. Go check em out.