Wednesday, October 19, 2005

GUEST BLOG FROM JENNIFER B

Why I Can’t Do The TBR Thing.

I have an open floor plan between my kitchen and dining room. These rooms are separated by a long expanse of gleaming counter space—a counter top that I insist remain bare and clutter-free. As this is our ‘gathering’ place, this space is a magnet for unread mail, notes to self, movies and books ready for return to their respective drop boxes, and more. I am forever and constantly clearing it. I cannot stand for a single item to be left there waiting for some action or decision. Just my nature. The same nature that keeps me from amassing a stack of books to be read.

Obsessive compulsive? Type A personality? Nope. I’m just inherently lazy. I love doing nothing. At least that is how it appears to others. Truth be known, I daydream. A lot. I’ve lived inside my head all my life. It’s why I prefer books to the more visual stimuli of TV and movies. It’s why I removed an endless number of imaginary fish from the hook of my son’s imaginary fishing pole as his bathwater grew cold last night. And it’s why I’ve always believed myself more suited to the “quiet” life.

But, in one of life’s funnier moments, I chose door number three. And behind that door lay an active, often loud life, packed with responsibilities like marriage, parenting, bill paying, vet appointments and yes, Anne, the moronic DMV. All responsibilities that necessitate To Do lists. To Do lists that never let me rest. Or while away hours daydreaming.

Feel sorry for me yet? Didn’t think so. Me neither. I love my life. And all of its happy chaos. And I live in it comfortably, as long as I can steal a few quiet moments every day. Which I can and I do. My secret? Eliminate or delegate those menacing To Do lists. Whiz through them and you’re FREE! Free to lollygag about daydreaming, reading and playing pretend.


So why can’t I do the TBR thing? Well, because it is yet another form of the To Do list. Dress it up anyway you like; it still stacks up as something you have to do. Besides, I don’t have any counter space available for unread books.

3 People Gabbed:

Anne said...

Well, this certainly tells us a lot about you Jenn. (Complusive and anal) LOL! Kidding... thanks for guest blogging and feel free to do so anytime about anything. I don't have a pile of TBR books, I have a bookcase FULL of them, so it's still neat and tidy, I just hate to see them all sitting there waiting to be read.. which is why I'm starting to tackle that pile as much as I can. : )

Anonymous said...

*chuckling at your post* I don't have a TBR pile because I just read too fast and too much, but since I have an aversion to clutter, I doubt I'd have one anyway. I'd just buy as I went.

Anonymous said...

My TBR pile is never very large because I read so fast. But I feel somehow vulnerable if I don't have at least one book standing by to be read when I finish the one I'm on! LOL It feels rather like being addicted to drugs, I suspect. Gotta have another fix - a book!