Thursday, October 20, 2005

Blue Smoke Review And A Bit On Nora Roberts


I'm a HUGE fan of Nora Roberts, one of the biggest, so some may think this review will be a bit biased, but I can guarantee you it is not. While I love the NR books of old (MacGregors, Cheasapeake Bay series, etc.) lately NR hasn't been writing books that really "grab" me, if you know what I mean. Last year she came out with Northern Lights, I can honestly say, I've never read it. I started it a couple times, then put it down. Then came the "flower" trilogy, you know the one with Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, and Red Lily. Well, Red Lily isn't out yet and I won't be getting it because though I managed to get through Blue Dahlia, I didn't even bother with Black Rose. My Mom (who is not a picky reader) told me not to bother, and if she says not to bother, it must really be a dull read. So, I didn't bother. (Thank you Mom for saving me time.) Anyway, it's a really good thing I get the majority of my books from the library or I'd have wasted a fortune.

TITLE: Blue Smoke.
AUTHOR: Nora Roberts.
PUBLISHER: Penguin Putnam.
RATING: 4 out of possible 5.
SUMMARY: Set in Baltimore, MD. When eleven-year-old Reena (Catarina) Hale wakes one night and sees her family's restaurant down the street going up in flames, she becomes facinated by the flame, the glow of the fire, and the colors, and after meeting Arson Investigator, John, knows that being an Arson Investigator is what she wants to do. Reena notices the details, and I mean all the details. She's got what most would call a photographic mind which, in turn, makes her perfect for the job.

Enter the Hero- In college, Reena is at a college party at the urging of her friends where she hooks up with her first boyfriend. Across the room, Bo (Bowen) Goodnight sees Reena and, to him, the music stops. He sees nothing and no one but her, but by the time he makes his way across the crowded room, she's gone. He sees her a couple more times, and each time she's gone before he can meet her. Then, a decade later, Reena moves into the house next door. She's watching the hunky carpenter guy working in his back yard, shirtless, sweaty, and very sexy, but she can't see his face. Finally he turns and she's not disappointed 'cause he's got a handsome face to go with that magnificent bod (what hero doesn't?). He's stunned because there's his Dream Girl (that's what he and his friends call her). He leaps the fence and says, "There you are. Son of a bitch, there you are." (My FAVORITE LINE.) Reena thinks he's a bit whacked out at this point but quickly finds out that he's not a stalker, but rather exactly what she's been looking for which is unsettling for her.

Enter the "bad guy." The "bad guy" has been causing Reena grief for the majority of her life, she just doesn't realize it until the phone calls start, along with the threats and the fires. In the end it comes down to one question: Will Reena get the "bad guy" before he gets her?

What I disliked about the book:

  1. The fact that we know who the "bad guy" is from the get go. I prefer not knowing who the "bad guy" is until the very end of the book. First of all, it takes away from the suspense. Second of all, the not knowing keeps you guessing rather than thinking the heroine and those around her are dumbasses for not figuring it out sooner.
  2. I wish the H & H had gotten together sooner so they could experience all the trials and tribulations together rather than Reena having to experience them alone. I would have liked to have seen them grow together individually while they were a couple, and be ther for each other while the shit hit the fan.
  3. The way things ended with the "bad guy." I'd have liked to have seen Reena get to deal with him in the end.
  4. I honestly believe the book would have been better and tighter if it had been about 3/4 the length. I think the book/story was expanded in certain aspects/areas just to fit the word count and that some of the narration could have been cut as well as a few other things to make it a more engaging read.

What I liked about the book:

  1. The heroine- the strength and intelligence she displayed.
  2. The hero- Strong, hunky, supportive, skilled, and determined. What's not to love?
  3. The "Dream Girl" element. Gotta love how Fate finally brought them together.
  4. When Reena realizes she's in love and how it freaks her out.
  5. I loved the details that NR put into this story. I'm not sure where or how she researched for this book, but she did a hell of a job. From fire starting to putting them out to investigating them, the step-by-step details were extraordinary.
  6. The Hale family was wonderfully portrayed. The large, loud, close-nit Italian family who stick together through thick and thin.
  7. The father-daughter relationship. Reena and her dad had a relationship that every girl hopes to have with her Dad.
  8. Mrs. Hale. She's a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure! Outspoken, pushy, loving, caring, all-knowing, and a very loving and compassionate woman.
  9. The ending. The way Reena realizes that no matter what happens, Bo will be there to help her pick up the pieces and fix things- emotionally, physically, and materialistically.

Looks like there are more likes than dislikes which is always a good thing. : ) While Blue Smoke wasn't as good as the NR books of old, all-in-all it was a very satisfying read, and one that I'd put on my keeper shelf to eventually read again; not for the suspense, but for the characters, the Hale family, and the romance between Reena and Bo.


0 People Gabbed: