Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Random Thoughts on books, blogging, etc...

Don't put restrictions on the books you want on PBS that make me think the book has to be perfect. If you want a perfect book, go buy it. I know you just want to go resell my book elsewhere.

If your book makes me feel crappy about myself, I'm not going to put it down and remember it fondly. No matter how well written it is.

Lately, I've been far more critical of books than I ever have been in the past. Wonder why that is?

Not everyone in blogland has a PhD. Don't be snooty to those who only have 2 degrees. (or 1, or none)

A good romantic comedy goes a long way. As does a good Baileys. Put the two together, and it's even better. (Thanking Jill Shalvis right about now)

Twitter is very, very bad. I got far less work done this week than I should have.

Google Chrome's Incognito Window rocks. See random thought above.

I really hate cliques. They're so high school. At work or at play.

If all I can think to blog about is a bitch session, I really need a vacation. I'm glad it's a 3-day weekend coming up.

What are you all doing for the 4th?

11 People Gabbed:

JenB said...

The PBS thing drives me insane. In fact, I automatically reject requests with long lists of demands. Hello, I'm giving you my book FOR FREE. I had a request once that asked me to use a specific type of envelope and wrapping style. Ummm...PASS!

I don't like cliques either. I don't follow the cliquish bloggers. There are three major ones that I don't even bother following.

nath said...

I'm just jealous about PBS, I wish there was one here in Canada.

As for being more critical - perhaps you're reading more books... or perhaps it's the company you keep with (i.e. us LOL).

I hate cliques too. People with cliques tend to be snooty.

Lori said...

The only ones I don't mind as much are the allergy-related ones. But still...

KateS said...

Yes, yes, and yes. I'm feeling it today, too. Course it might be because it's raining AGAIN. Seriously, I know this is New England and weather is unpredictable, but SOME sun would be nice since it's, you know, summer.

And I don't use PBS. I end up wanting to keep a good portion of the books I buy. :-P

Wendy said...

I do have a no-smoking restriction on my PBS account. Didn't use to bother me when I was younger, maybe because I was routinely around people who smoked? Nowadays, I hardly ever am - so it bothers me a bit more. I don't mind books coming from pet-households, as long as the book isn't drenched in cat urine (swear to you that a friend of mine received a book like that once. Ewwwwww!)

I think cliques are pretty much everywhere in blog land. I mean, you could say the So. Cal. Bloggers are a clique. Although maybe not - because we're very welcoming to newbies.....

Lori said...

OK, ewwwww. Cat pee? Now that's gross. Rethinking the whole restriction thing. Is it wrong to put a restriction that makes people check off and promise that their book isn't covered in cat pee?

And like I said, I don't mind if someone wants me to tell them the book is from a non-smoking household, or they'll go into anaphylactic shock if it has dog hair on it, but, I kid you not, this is the request I got the other day:

"The book must be in pristine condition: no yellowed, dog-eared pages. No writing, no cracks in the binding. No crinkles or cracks in the cover art. No wrinkles in the pages. Must come from a non-smoking household without pets."

Really? And it's not like it was a hard to find or anything. Not OOP either. Just your average run of the mill paperback. Forget going to the bookstore. Go to the freaking printhouse.

Lori said...

And I suppose I should clarify the clique thing. I originally was referring to work and play, (note work...) not necessarily just blogland. But since that's where you all went, I'm guessing it must be a thing...

Wendy said...

Lori: Yeah, that restriction is just excessive and greedy. I'll admit, that when I'm at a UBS, I'm on the look-out for the nicest looking copies I can find. But if I'm trading books with friends or getting them thru PBS? I leave my anal-retentiveness at the front door. Like you said, if I'm that desperate for a book to look brand new, I'm forking over the cash and buying it brand new!

Tracy said...

LOL Great thoughts Lori. Twitter - I just can't go there. I know it will suck my time and even now I hardly have time to blog hop! :)

And we're not doing anything for the 4th except a bbq in the backyard. :)

Holly said...

Are you channeling me again or what? I swear I could have written this list, and probably did several times already.

Word.

I'm having a BBQ for the fourth. Should be fun. Mostly just my family, though I think MM's sister and some of her in-laws are coming, too.

Nikki said...

There was a thread on PBS discussing whether or not "you" (meaning everyone) just accept the books, no matter what the condition. There was quite a bit of sh!t about how people had sent crappy books, blah, blah, blah. I said, "Yes, I'm requesting a book because I want to READ it", not because I want a perfect copy to look pretty on my shelf. So there you have it. Some people!