Friday, July 10, 2009

Goin' to the chapel...

We're going to a wedding next weekend, and here's what we were told to wear. Uh, yeah, right.

While this is not a theme wedding, and costumes are not required, we would LOVE to see our fellow artists and creative family members embrace the steampunk style to help set the tone for this event. Let your children (and your inner children) go crazy! Steampunk is the combination of the best of Victorian England with technological advances that didn't actually take place until 100 years later. While it began as a literary movement, it has now expanded to included art, design and style. For more info visit these links:


http://www.edwardianball.com/previously.html


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/steampunk

http://kineticsteamworks.org

You can also google image "steampunk costume" for clothing ideas. Think brass goggle wearing hackers, apocalyptic scavenger style of "Mad Max", vaudeville and burlesque in the structured gentility in the Victorian age...


First off, as soon as I saw "costumes" I was thinking "WTF?" JUST what I want to wear to a wedding. Even Jeff rolled his eyes and sounded grateful he had football practice and had to stay home for the weekend. At least Bob & I will get a nice weekend away together out of it. Here's where we're staying.

5 People Gabbed:

Wendy said...

Um yeah. No comment on the "dress code."

But....

The hotel looks fantastic! What a fantastic location for a weekend getaway. Even if you'll be dodging steampunk-wearing wedding guests LOL

Rosie said...

SHUT UP with the costumes. With so many weddings have specific themes I guess it would make sense to ask the guests to participate... sort of... but I've never heard of it actually happening. So we know where you are staying... What are you wearing?

nath said...

Ugh, I hate it when you have a dress code to a wedding... Wonder what the bride will be wearing, hmmm.

What about you guys? :P

By the way, steampunk? that is a weird theme.

Lori said...

LOLOL Rosie. I would shut up if I could, but srsly!! Ugh.

I din't even want to think about what the bride will be wearing, Nath. She has dreads down to her butt.

I am NOT wearing a costume, thankyouverymuch. I will go in regular wedding appropriate attire. As will Bob. Oy-freakin-vey. Bob is also playing in the band at the reception for about an hour. I know practically nobody else. How thrilled am I? Yeah. Not so much.

Amy C said...

Hey Lori, you mentioned this on my blog the other day! As odd as it looks to dress that way, it does add a nice touch of fun to a wedding. Takes away from that seriousness and all that! I think it's a great idea :).

You mentioned posting pictures, I sure would love to see them!

And that place you are staying at looks absolutely beautiful!