Monday, May 25, 2009

My uncle, the mobster... immortalized

My great-uncle, Sidney Korshak, lawyer to the mob, will be immortalized in an HBO mini series. Should I be proud or embarrassed?

He was the subject of an entire series in Doonesbury in 1979, too, tying then governor (now Attorney General) Jerry Brown to the Chicago mob. I still remember my mom being horrified. Yeah. Proud. And embarrassed.



He's likely the only member of my family to rate a spread in the NY Times when he passed away.

The book, which I'm still reading: Supermob: How Sidney Korshak and His Criminal Associates Became America's Hidden Power Brokers


2 People Gabbed:

Linda said...

I think you're entitled to be both proud and embarrassed. After all, our legal system insists that everyone is entitled to legal representation. Guess that goes for mobsters too. Sounds fascinating.

Jennifer B. said...

Wow! When I was a kid, my Dad had "associations" with local questionables...there are pics with me (when I was little), my Dad and an assortment of folks--most of whom later went to jail. Creepy. But in your case...Wow. Just wow. And no need to be embarrassed, it's not like YOU did anything, LOL.