Friday, January 09, 2009

Ponderings on weight gain, and resolutions

So as many of you know, because I complained about it incessantly last year, my increase in work hours up to about 70 per week made it really difficult for me to manage other areas of my life. My diet and exercise being one of them. As a result, I gained about 15 pounds last year. Very bad. Unless you're my husband.

A couple days ago, I caught him ogling my (now bigger) chest, complete with cleavage. "You've grown," says he, waggling his eyebrows. "Uh, yeah," says I dejectedly. "It's cause I've gained so much weight."
"I like the effect," says the sex addict. "Don't get used to it," says the runway reject. "I'm going back on Weight Watchers."

Couple items of note: For me, being chesty means I went from an "almost B" cup to a full B cup. Woohoo! Second, I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful husband who doesn't rag on me about weight gain. We have a deal that if I become too huge, he's going to tell me. Gaining 15 pounds has put me into a size 10, and I'm frankly, miserable about it. I know this really isn't cause for complaint, as I'm still well below the "average American woman", but for me, since I barely top 5'4" on a high hair day, I feel pretty huge.

One of MCTC's most popular songs when they play live is "I Don't Mind a Girl With a Couple Extra Pounds". The first time I heard it, I didn't know whether to laugh or be offended. But it's tremendously popular live with the women in the audience, which, frankly, surprised me. When I get home from work, I'll put it up on the sidebar so you can hear it. Point is, both he and his partner, Page, truly believe the lyrics of this song. And the title of it kind of says it all. My husband truly rocks.

Still, I find myself bowing to convention about looks, feeling unhealthy, and not comfortable in my skin with those "couple extra pounds". So, my goal this year is to work less, eat better, and get healthier. All that should help me lose weight, right? I went back on Weight Watchers last week. I've always been incredibly successful with it. Outcome? 1 pound weight gain. Shit.

7 People Gabbed:

Wendy said...

I'm way too heavy. Even factoring in that I'm a "big girl" at 5'9", I am way, way, way too heavy. So like I do every new year, I've sworn to cut out all junk food (which um, basically means changing my entire diet LOL) and exercising more (which means, actually doing some).

My problem is that I get discouraged when the magic bullet doesn't appear and I don't lose 30 pounds in a month LOL. I keep trying to tell myself that I didn't gain all this weight overnight, so why do I expect it to disappear over night?

So I'm trying to remain determined, and so far the results have been positive. Week one of the new regime, and I'm already "less puffy." A step in the right direction at least.

Anonymous said...

I love the word "waggling".

And I should be so lucky as you .. my weight gains go directly to my backside. My chest is as unspectacular as ever!

Lori said...

Don't misinterpret, Jessica. My ass has 'benefitted' from the weight gain just as much as my chest, if not more, much to my dismay. And I have a belly for the first time ever, not counting pregnancy.

And Wendy, good for you! Less puffy is always good :) If only I was on your bandwagon. I'm attributing my 1 lb weight gain to PMS water weight. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jennifer B. said...

OMG I am soooo glad you posted this, LOL. Cuz I want to lodge a similar complaint--and it's like yours. Not a bad size to be in, just not my size anymore, LOL. I've been a solid size 4 since late last winter. And right now, my 6's are killing me--wayyy to tight. But the 8's are too big. So I'm walking around looking like a stuffed size 6 sausage. And hate the way I feel. Not to mention I'm recycling the same three pair of pants over and over. The folks I work with are going to think I can't afford enough clothes.

I'm back at it too...and starving and bitching. LMAO Gotta add the exercise back in (gave up on that after monday morning's workout)...and gotta KEEP at it. Nothing fits right and I feel like the crap I've been eating since November.

Sending keep-at-it vibes to ya'll too.

Dev said...

I'm also way too fluffy these days ~ In fact, I started back on South Beach last week and have done good ~ until Friday. And Saturday. And today. But I'm restarting again tomorrow.

Luckily, I have no junk food in my house. Problem is, I can gorge on the other stuff just as easily.

As far as size 10 ~ I'd give anything to get there again. I'm up to an uncomfortable size 14 these days.

nath said...

I like the "working less" part of your resolution :)

sigh, I need to do the same though... Lose weight. Hate it... but you're lucky, like you said, Bob isn't on your back to lose weight... I think my dad is afraid I'll be a spinster and so he is on my back, ugh.

Linda said...

Wow. I'm the same height but I'm pretty happy getting back into size 12 pants, after 20 years or so of 14's and 16's. If I keep losing weight from walking the dogs 3 miles a day MAYBE I'll see size 10 again. Not likely. Still, glad to know there are some guys out there who don't mind the "couple extra pounds."

Can't believe you gained a pound on WW! Snort! Poor baby. Still, I know you'll lose what you set your mind on losing, even if it is PMS water weight. *snicker*