Sunday, July 13, 2008

How Far Do You Go?

How far into a book that just isn't sucking you in do you read before you give up? The reason I'm asking is because I'm reading Nora Roberts Tribute and I am on page 53 and so far it isn't very enthralling. It's backstory and construction and I am, in a way, bored. Usually by this point--well, page 50--I just put the book aside and either declare it a DNF or hold off to try it again later. BUT- as it's La Nora, I'll hold off until later as I have the book from the library for 14 days. I want some interaction between the characters and that's only happening here and there in the first three chapters. Honestly, so far I'm very disappointed. Sadness! :-(

So, my question to you is, how far do you read a book before you give up? Do you go back to it later? Or do you just declare it a DNF? Or do you do as I used to and struggle through the entire book? (I gave that up as there isn't enough time to read all the good books out there so I refuse to struggle through one that isn't working for me.)

8 People Gabbed:

Marg said...

I tend to read to the bitter end. It's like an illness - I can't put it down just in case it gets better 10 pages after I put it down!

Sarah McCarty said...

Depending how non-sucked in I am, 3 pages or three chapters. Never more than three chapters. If the author hasn't hooked me by then they just aren't going to.

Casee said...

Try to stick w/ Tribute if you can. I really liked it.

I can't not finish a book. It doesn't matter if it's the worst piece of crap ever. I'm too anal not to finish it once I start. I wish I wasn't. *sigh*

Casee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chantal said...

If it gets to the point where I jut don't care about what will happen on the next page, then it's a DNF.

Almost all of my DNF's are because I am bored. If the author can't keep my attention after a few chapters, then I end it.

There is not magic number when it comes to the page or chapter before it's a DNF. I just go on gut feeling.

Wendy said...

Depends on the length of the book. If it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-350 pages, I give it about 50 pages. If it's a longer book? At least 100. Looking at Tribute, which clocks it at 450+ pages? I'd be sticking with it at least for 100 pages before giving it the ol' heave-ho.

nath said...

Hey Anne :D the beginning was slow, but it does get better. I'd say to stick with it a little more, esp. since the book is quite long. If after another 50pages you're still bored, then you could put it down... usually, if it's a library book, I don't really care when to put it down. If it's one of my book, I see how many times I've tried to read it... if it takes me more than 4-5 sittings, then it's a DNF for me.

Holly said...

I'm one of the 100 page mark types. If I can't get into it by then, I give up.