Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Help Duke!

Updated July, 14 2008 So far we have had 26.50 donated towards Duke's surgery. We really need your help to be able to get Duke's surgery that he so needs. This dog deserves all the guardian angels he can get

Hi Everyone!

My name is Duke. I am a red, white, & blue, all American true, flag flying yellow labrador retriever. I am about 3 years old & weigh 100 pounds. (which we are trying to lose a few. Going down to about 90- 95 lbs would be great for me! My foster mom said I am just about the best 4 legged friend a human could ever ask for.

Unfortunately, I am not yet available for adoption.

Here's my story:

I was at a shelter & my time was up, so I was suppose to be shipped off to some research lab. (Yes this still happens)

Fortunately for me, Furry Bottoms Rescue stepped up & saved my cute furry face in the nick of time (whew)!

When I got to my foster mom's house she noticed that I seemed to be having a hard time walking & getting up, so..........she took me to the vet & yep, you guessed it, my knees are shot. No matter what they did to me and even when I would cry with pain I never onced growled, nipped or tried to bite. I just wagged my tail. The vet said I need knee surgery on both of my back legs & the surgery is going to be expensive, like $2,000 per knee (yikes)!!!. My foster mom said we would figure out some way to pay for my surgeries, but I know there has got to be a few guardian angels out there who would be willing to donate their spare change to help me get the surgeries I need so I can be someone's best running buddy.

We can't do this without your help. My life has been saved and now I need your help so I can continue on my way and find that forever home.

I have a mild disposition & am very gentle. I love to curl up by my foster family when they are hanging out at the house & catch a dog nap. I do love to play but just can't chase the ball like I would like to, but I can play tug-of-war with the best of them. I am a great listener & love to roll over & get my belly scratched (oh yeah)!!! I know the commands sit, down, no, & leave it. I get along great with the other dogs in my foster home, the cat, & children of all ages, but it would be best for me to live with children over the age of 5, because sometimes I forget how big I am & might accidentally knock over a smaller child. I have no food aggression issues, take treats nicely, ride well in a car, & walk good on a leash.

I am neutered, heartworm tested (negative), up to date on my vaccines, & dewormed (gotta tell you that stuff is disgusting)!

I would be all ready to go if it wasn't for my bum knees. However, with your kind donations I will be ready to make someone a best friend forever by late summer, so please donate for my surgeries, every little bit will help.

Love & sweet doggy kisses, Duke

You can make donations via this page.

1 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

I love labs. What a sweetheart!