Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Guest Blogger: Shiloh Walker - Through The Veil

Welcome, Shiloh, to our little corner of the blogosphere. We are very excited to have you here today and to feature your book Through The Veil all this week.

Now, let's venture into the mind of Shiloh Walker...

Where do you get your ideas from?

I think this is one question almost every author gets asked. Probably every author.

Some have these beautiful, articulate answers that make me feel silly-because my answer is very often...I dunno.

But for Through the Veil, I actually have an answer. The idea for Veil came from my husband. And he got the idea from a bruise. A bruise on me, to be exact.

You see, I'm one of those weird people that wake up with bruises. Weird bruises. No medical reason for it-I just bruise easy. But I rarely remember what I did to get the bruise. One day, he said something like.... You need to write a book about a woman who keeps waking up with bruises because while she's sleeping, she's getting sucked into another world and she's fighting a war there.

And the writer in me went...hmmmmmm...I can do that. I wanted to do it. The idea was there, just barely, but there, simmering in the back of my mind for years. Probably three or four years before the idea was ever more than just an idea. Then I saw this picture-Photobucket

It's the cover a book written by author Vivi Anna. Since the time I saw it, it has been rewritten, has a new cover, new pub...but if I hadn't seen this cover, that idea my husband gave me just might not have taken flight the way it did. If I saw this picture and he hadn't given me that idea...well, the story never would have been.

So the person on the cover is a woman. I was actually seeing more the hero crouched there. In my mind, he wasn't on a creature...but hey. The colors. The darkness. The utter desolation I see, coupled with a fierce determination.

It got the idea going. Like you wouldn't believe. So I started pounding a little bit of the story out. Then I got busy. It got pushed to the wayside. But always, it was there in the back of my mind, waiting.

Then I look up one day and realize...uh-oh, I need a new book to write. So I take the book out. It was titled Under Realm then, but the idea was still the same.

The heroine in Veil is Lee. She's a graphic artist, has a nice, ordinary life...but her life isn't as ordinary as she thinks. Lee wakes up almost every day with bruises and the echo of crazy dreams she can't really remember. When she's working, she creates images of this man with a face like a dark angel, a body to match, and eyes that made her burn.

She has absolutely no idea that he is real. That he needs her. When she finally figures that out, her first thought was that she'd gone crazy from the lack of sleep. By the time she figures out she's wrong...well, that's when things get interesting.

If she isn't going crazy, she's in a whole new world of trouble. And her dream guy is only the beginning.

Hope you enjoy Through the Veil-I certainly did--at least when it wasn't driving me crazy.


Ciao~

Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com


Shiloh is holding a scavenger hunt and you can find the info here. She's offering up some great prizes:
  • One $50 GC to Barnes & Noble
  • One $15 GC to Barnes & Noble
  • One $10 GC to Mybookstoreandmore.com
Go check it out!

9 People Gabbed:

Pamk said...

man June 3rd can't come soon enough for me. I love that old cover for Vivianna Hell Kat. Acutally like it better than the cover on it now.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I had the chance to read an ARC of TTV while on the road tthis weekend and LOVED it (its still sitting in my car)~made my hubby drive~
I have to think of words to describe how much and why I loved it in my review I'll be writing tonight. I just loved the world Shiloh created, and Lee and Kalen are so great for each other...that may sound lame, but it's true.

Michelle B said...

I can't wait to get this book! As usual with Shiloh's books, I'll be going out to get it as soon as it's released on June 3rd :-)

icia said...

I think shi write really good stories. I'm looking forward to reading this and a couple of othere. As for a prize you want to offer up the prize you juts got. LOL icia

Anonymous said...

Hey, can I enter?

:-D

I love that old cover for Vivianna Hell Kat. Acutally like it better than the cover on it now.

Yeah, me, too. I met Vivi Anna at RT and told her how much I adore that old cover.

I have to think of words to describe how much and why I loved it in my review I'll be writing tonight. I just loved the world Shiloh created, and Lee and Kalen are so great for each other...that may sound lame, but it's true.

:) glad you liked it!

I can't wait to get this book! As usual with Shiloh's books, I'll be going out to get it as soon as it's released on June 3rd :-)

Thank you, Michelle!


I think shi write really good stories.

You're just buttering me up because you want my quilt. ;)



Anne, thanks for letting me hang around here this week. Doing promo on blogs is almost like not doing promo. I can pretend I'm talking. I love to talk. I hate promo. It's a lovely solution. ;)

Anonymous said...

This is another book in my OMG I have to read this SOON list :) I can't wait!


When it comes to Shi's books I know I won't be disappointed :)

Lori T said...

I just wanted to stop in and say that I can hardly wait for next Tuesday to get here as I can hardly wait to read Through the Veil!

I absolutely love Shi's books!

Cathy M said...

I really loved reading Vivi's, Hell Cat, though I read the ebook version and didn't have that great cover to look at.

J said...

Ah, so that's how the book came about. The Vivi Anna cover reminded me of Underworld when I first saw it.