Saturday, January 12, 2008

My Take...

on this whole plagiarism thing. As a writer I view plagiarism as cheating. An author should create their own words. Sure, it's okay to paraphrase or even use information learned when researching a topic, but darn it all, use your own words. Not someone else's. It's cheating and it's being lazy.

I wonder, did Janet Dailey get as much flack after she plagiarized La Nora? I mean, in that instance it was a hell of a lot more than a few sentences. And is Janet Dailey still a member of RWA? Hmm. I think that requires some research.

Now can we let this whole subject die already? I'm so effing sick of it.

3 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...


I wonder, did Janet Dailey get as much flack after she plagiarized La Nora? I


I dunno, but I think that happened before the days of the WWW.

In all honesty, I have to admit I'm following the whole ordeal on the DA blog. It's something that could have far reaching consequences. If it increases awareness of plagiarism, and maybe deters a few wold-be plagiarists... that's a good thing.

If it educates a few writers on what is and isn't plagiarism, that's good, too.

ValVega said...

RE: I wonder, did Janet Dailey get as much flack after she plagiarized La Nora? I mean, in that instance it was a hell of a lot more than a few sentences. And is Janet Dailey still a member of RWA?

I never heard about the Roberts/Dailey case until until now.

I guess, like Shiloh pointed out, that it was before the WWW and romance blogs?

Seeing as the CE thing has turned out Mrs. Dailey would have been crucified or stoned in a public square by angry mobs of romance readers and fangirls LOL

She should be counting her blessings!

Chantal said...

Blah, I don't care.

I'm still going to read the books I want to read. I like the Savage series.