Saturday, September 08, 2007

*Tear*


RIP author Madeleine L'Engle, author of the famous Wrinkle in Time series. Ms. L'Engle died Thursday night in Connecticut. You can read the first obit here.

Those books had a HUGE impact on my early reading. I devoured the first book, then had to find the others in the series, and found that I might possibly have an obsession with series books. I laughed when Wrinkle was the class book in the 6th grade, as I had it almost memorized by that time, and most of the kids hadn't even heard of it. (Ironically, this also happened with Edgar Allen Poe. Tangent.)

I also think about the hours and hours hubby and I watched the movie version of Wrinkle on our honeymoon as the hotel had 4 movie channels and it was on all of them all the time. And I loved it. Loved Meg and Charles Wallace and Calvin and the twins... Classic.

So cheers to you, Ms. L'Engle, for the many hours and hours and HOURS of happy reading you gave me. May you rest in peace. You will be remembered.

“Why does anybody tell a story? It does indeed have something to do with faith, faith that the universe has meaning, that our little human lives are not irrelevant, that what we choose or say or do matters, matters cosmically.” ~Madeleine L'Engle, courtesy of NYT

3 People Gabbed:

Dev said...

Oh, how sad. I hadn't heard about this. I remember a classmate in 4th grade reading us A Wrinkle in Time and she just started sobbing while trying to read us this story. Ms. L'Engle was an amazing author.

Linda said...

There's now a little hole in the universe that Madeleine L'Engle used to fill. I've love her work for many years, not just her children's books.

What a powerful quote, thanks for sharing it.

Dara Girard said...

L'Engle will dearly be missed. What an amazing author and life she led. An inspiration to all of us authors and readers.