Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Not a bad problem to have, I guess.

My TBR list has spun out of control—but not in the usual way. I actually have just a few books on-hand. It is my list, or rather my method for keeping track, that has derailed. I keep a hand-written list, adding titles as I go and crossing them off as I read them. It is usually no more than one sheet, front and back. Most titles make it to my list via blog reviews. The rest I pull from coming soon sites.

My ‘process’ suffers if I am not online regularly. As I have not been online regularly for nearly three months, the whole thing is whacked. Instead of writing down recommended reads in blogland, I’ve been ‘starring’ them in my Google reader. Short on time, that seemed a good idea. Until I pulled up my starred posts. Apparently, I thought nothing of starring anything and everything that looked worth a second look. Seriously, it would take me another three months just to catch up.

I also fell off the coming soon watch and missed most of the big new releases this summer. Burns my ass when I’m not first in the library line for the newest Nora, Evanovich (Plum series) or Linda Howard. I feel like I spent the whole summer scrambling to read the big ones. Then, when I do get my shit together (briefly) and take first dibs on Brockmann’s latest, I pick it up ONE day before I move into a new house. Nothing like reading a Brockmann book ten pages at a time. I think I’ll start it over tonight.

So now I’m moved in, connected and ready to catch up. But I just can’t shake the feeling that I’m missing out on good reads. Argh.

What have you read this summer that qualifies as a must-have?

4 People Gabbed:

Rosie said...

I thought I commented on this already. Huh? Wonder where that comment went.

HIGH NOON by Nora Roberts was a winner for me this summer. DANGEROUS LOVER by Lisa Marie Rice was good. I discovered Jessica Bird aka JR Ward and read her summer SSE release the BILLIONAIRE NEXT DOOR. Of course I also really liked A REASON TO BELIEVE by Maureen McKade which is book 2 in her western set Forester brothers trilogy.

Some of the bigger names releases like Rachel Gibson, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Suzanne Brockmann I have but haven't finished reading them yet.

I just wrote about my own TBR. I had to sort it into rubbermaid tubs.

Don't worry about your process too much. You'll catch up again and Lord knows you'll hear about the really good books but we never let those get forgotten! :)

KateS said...

I don't really have any suggestions, as my TBR list is always SOOO darn long. For my birthday I got a gift card to Borders (I heart my family, lol), so I got Anya Bast's Witch Fire, Kressley Cole's "If You" series (hot scottish men? I think so!), and one of Theresa Medeiros's new vampire ones.

And shouldn't you be editing? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dark Need by Lynn Viehl ~I think anything she writes is a must read.

And I finally started reading Sherrilyn Kenyon and wondering why I waited so long. I'm so sadly behind on my TBR list, it's almost sad.

Jennifer B. said...

Thanks for the recs!!!

I'm duly noting them on my TBR list (which is nearly in order again). LOL