Monday, June 18, 2007

Shaking my head...

So my husband took my little boy camping for Father’s Day weekend and I joined their fun for a time on Saturday. It was a rustic campground on the Manistee River (within 15 miles of home) that also caters to horse folk. Pretty busy this weekend with a 4-H group and a half dozen other campers/fishermen filling the place up. Saturday afternoon, campers at the far end spotted a black bear. Word spread quickly and before long, every person I encountered asked me if I’d seen “the bear”. I wished I’d had. Northern Michigan’s black bear sightings are rare. Despite their population, they manage to avoid human contact more often than not. These are not bears you expect to find at camp dumpsters.

So, I’m walking the riverbank with G when a teenage boy approaches, his short pockets drooping to his knees because he’s filled them with rocks.

“Did you see the bear?” he asked.

“Nope,” I smiled.

“Was he down there?” he pointed.

“Think so. But he’s long gone by now Hon.”

He completely misses any hint about bear behavior and instead, says with bloodlust, “I’m going to find him. I want to throw rocks at him.”

WTF? This boy couldn’t have been more than 14 or 15 years old. Tell me that isn’t a typical boy response or desire. Please.

6 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

Tell me that isn’t a typical boy response or desire. Please.

Ummm... Jen? Yup. LMAO. Sad, but true.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Too funny!! And so typical!

Linda said...

Isn't that the age when they are trying to prove their "manhood"? And perhaps the brain cells are not all engaged in rational thought. See, don't you have something to look forward to? LOL

Rosie said...

Wow, I was going to say, "No" don't worry about it. My boys threw rocks, heck my boys collected rocks and were always walking around with rocks, sticks and bugs in their pockets. I don't know if it's because we camped or not, but I can't imagine them throwing rocks at a bear, I just can't.

Jenster said...

I just asked my 15-year-old and his words were, "Idiot". Like Rosie said, throwing rocks is normal - throwing them at a bear? I dunno.

Jennifer B. said...

I'm laughing with tears in my eyes! Noooooo, I don't want that to be typical. LOL Rosie, maybe because we camp a lot as well and live in the northern woods, our son won't consider throwing rocks at bears (other hopefully inanimate things), but not bears.

OMG Jenster - your boy's response was priceless!