Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Costs of Child Care

Hubby and I are currently looking at the costs of child care before we decide to have kids. We want to have at least some of the credit card amounts down before I get pregnant, so we're doing a little hypothetical budgeting of the costs we will accrue at pregnancy and beyond.

Right now, we're looking at child care. Now, child care is expensive. Massachusetts is known to have the 2nd highest cost of child care in the United States (only second to Jersey), but really, I honestly did not know how much people are charging.

In my area, it costs about $250-$350 a week. A. WEEK. Add that up, that's a lot of money you're paying someone else. You could say that ok, you're giving your child to this person, do you really want to skimp on the care? But even the "skimpy" ones are the $250.

What are child care costs in your areas? Have you ever encountered a time where by both parents going to work and paying for child care you actually lose money because the costs are so high?

Curious minds want to know...

9 People Gabbed:

Holly said...

Child care is ridiculously expensive no matter where you are, IMO.

Shorty after my son was born I needed to go back to work, but with child care costs I ended up needing both a full time and a part time job to cover expenses. At that 8 years ago.

Now that they're older child care is more reasonable (because they're in school and only need care for a few hours in the afternoon) but prior to that? It was scary.

I think I was paying almost $1600 a month (for two full time children) before they were in school.

Good luck!

Another option to consider is checking with local college students and family. A lot of times having in home care is less expensive (and also more comfortable for new parents).

Kat said...

The first (centre-based) daycare my son went to charged AU$80 per day. Family daycare was quoted to me at around $4.50 per hour. We ran at a loss on my salary (i.e. it was less than the cost of childcare, including travel costs) for a while. We ended up living with the in-laws for almost a year just to recover.

It's also not just the cost--it can be very difficult to get a place in the daycare you want.

The hubby drew up a rough budget when we were planning to have another child, and we worked out that we'd just be in the black. And what do you know, I find out I'm having twins!

Amie Stuart said...

It's STILL unreal. DOwn here in Texas it's about 105/week for full time summer care (and my child support only covers two weeks a month).

My kids walk home during the school year but when they went full time it nearly did me in. It would have if I hadn't been getting public assistance.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Mass to so I feel your pain, do a lot of research since home daycares can be a little less expensive than centers sometimes but they aren't as closely regulated. I actually stopped working for the 1st 3 years of my daughters life and still only work while she is in school (full day Kindergarten) so I don't have to pay daycare and find after school care...I know several people that ended up leaving their jobs because it cost them more to work than to stay home especially when you have more than one in daycare...

KateS said...

Thanks all for your opinions! :-)

Anon, I've known a few people who've left their jobs because of the cost of child care, too. Normally they had three or more kids, so that's not in the works for me (as much as I WISH it were!).

And CONGRATS KAT!! Twins! :-)

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine who lives in MA had an infant in daycare and it cost her megabucks. When she had her second child a couple of years later it was even worse. She ended up staying home and babysitting for a few of her friends. Word got around, and she usually has a waiting list. This was over 25 years ago and she is still doing in home day care.

Lori said...

I agree with Holly. It's horrendously expensive. BUT, when you think about it... it's your child you're talking about. I paid... umm... I think it was about $1600 for two kids in So Cal, and then for them both to be in preschool fulltime (with daycare on wither end of the preschool day) it was around $2200 a month. Pretty high stakes.

Nicole said...

Okay all I have to say is I live in Jersey! Hello! lol.

I stayed home with my kids mostly, opting to only work evenings and weekends when my husband or the grandparents could be with the kids.

But now my son is in Kindergarden and I'm ready to go back to work full time. So I've been looking for a preschool for my 4 year old daughter, my mother in law is open to watch her when she's home but I still need three half days a week. I'm looking at $100 a week, FOR THREE HALF DAYS!

And I haven't even priced after school programs for Jordon yet.

Good luck! lol.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.