Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Innocent In Death- J.D. Robb

Innocent In Death by J.D. Robb
(Here you go Lauren)


Description as found on Nora Roberts' website
:

NYPSD Lt. Eve Dallas hunts for the killer of a seemingly ordinary history teacher-and uncovers some extraordinary surprises. Craig Foster's death devastated his young wife, who'd sent him to work that day with a lovingly packed lunch. It shocked his colleagues at the private school, too, and as for the ten-year-old girls who found him in his classroom in a pool of bodily fluids-they may have been traumatized for life.

Eve soon determines that Foster's homemade lunch was tainted with deadly ricin, and that Mr. Foster's colleagues have some startling secrets of their own. It's Eve's job to sort it out- and discover why someone would have done this to a man who seemed so inoffensive, so pleasant . . . so innocent.

Now Magdalena Percell . . . there's someone Eve can picture as a murder victim. Possibly at Eve's own hands. The slinky blonde-an old flame of her billionaire husband, Roarke-has arrived in New York, and she's anything but innocent. Roarke seems blind to Magdalena's manipulation, and he insists that the occasional lunch or business meeting with her is nothing to worry about . . . and none of Eve's business. Eve's so unnerved by the situation that she finds it hard to focus on her case. Still, she'll have to put aside her feelings, for a while at least-because another man has just turned up dead.

Eve knows all too well that innocence can be a facade. Keeping that in mind may help her solve this case at last. But it may also tear apart her marriage.


First, I'll start off by saying that anyone who blames Roarke for any understandings in IOD is whacked. He did nothing wrong. Nothing. Yes, for a fleeting moment Eve saw something that threw her for a loop, and, sure, circumstances left room for reasonable doubt, but when has Roarke ever given her a reason to doubt his love for her? Never. So, IMO it was Eve's neuroses and fear that led to the bad feelings and understandings, and the fact that she didn't communicate her feelings to him only blew the situation up even further. Communication is key in a relationship and had she talked to him about things there would have been no room for doubt.

***SPOILER*** Highlight below to read the spoiler.
***Roarke finds himself repeatedly saying he did nothing wrong, but the evidence was damning at times, and when Eve tells him she wasn't worried that he'd cheat on her, but rather that he'd look at her and regret. ***

I cried. I did. More than once. I always do with Eve and Roarke. *sigh* Their's is a love so deep and tender and true it makes my heart ache. What? Yes, they are too real! The way Nora writes it feels real, doesn't it? Lovely. Perfect. Soul mates.

And the mystery? Wow. I'd have never imagined... though I suppose it's possible. I won't elaborate in fear of ruining it for others, but HOLY COW.

Jane at Dear Author sums up Innocent In Death perfectly. This book does make Eve and Roarke more human and more realistic.

Overall Grade: A (of course)

8 People Gabbed:

Jenster said...

*sigh* Can you believe I haven't read any of these books? In fact, I've never read a Nora Roberts book. My husband, on the other hand, is a huge fan of hers. LOL

He loves the JD Robb books and we have the first several. I've been trying to be strong - just because it's another flamin' series - but I feel myself crumbling all the time. I know it's only a matter of time.

Oh. And what's he currently reading? "Angels Fall". LMAO!!

Anne said...

Jenster- One you read the first book of this series, you're going to want to read the rest. It is THAT good. And I CAN'T BELIEVE you haven't read a Nora Roberts book! You're missing out. Seriously. I tell you, you should read the Chesapeake Bay series with the Quinn brothers to start... SIGH. Fabulous. Nora Roberts is just amazing.

Jenster said...

Oy, Anne! You make me want to shove my fingers in my ears and sing "la la la la la" so I can't hear you. But it would be futile because I hear it from everywhere.

I'm just leary about the thought of starting another series. Why are all the good books parts of series anyway??

Oh well. I promise to at least read a Nora Roberts book before the end of the month. And maybe I'll start the JD Robb books. I'm needing something different anyway.

Jenn said...

Funny you should post about this now as I just posted a review over on I Just Finished Reading. i had started it on 2/25 and I just had to stpe back and think about it. i wanted to post as soon as I finished the book at 2am, But I was glad I waited.

Not suprisingly we agree on alot of what the book delivered. I agree about your Roarke comments, he really didn't do anything wrong, he was just a victim of circumstance. I just love this series and I am so glad that you enjoy it too.

Great minds apparently do think a like

Anonymous said...

Hee! Thanks for putting this up.

I think Roarke's biggest problem was that he didn't back up Eve's feelings. When he continued to be involved with Maggie after Eve expressed her reservations, when he blew her feelings off as jealousy (and knew deep inside she was right) - that ticked me off.

I was quite happy with how Nora wrote it and that you're quite sure that he'd NEVER cheat and that Eve's fears were based on his possible feelings of loss rather than her fear of losing him. But I don't think he got it and I don't think he suffered enough at the end.

Overall, my favorite is Divided, when Eve and Roarke are also unable to connect and find their way back to each other. I did leave Innocent in Death feeling distinctly annoyed with Roarke, who is a hell of a lot more savvy than to let this woman make trouble between him and his wife.

Anne said...

Lauren- I believe that Roarke expected more from Eve i.e. less insecurity as wrong as it was... and he got momentarily blinded by the past.

Thank God for Summerset. Don't you just LOVE his banter with Eve? The part where she called him scarecrow... I laughed out loud. They effing crack me up. God, I love this series.

And Roarke did for a second have to deal with jealous with Eve with Webster, but just for a second... "He had his hands on my wife." SIGH. I think it's funny when she gets annoyed at the tone he uses sometimes when he says "wife". Snicker.

I guess my faves are the first one(Naked) and Judgment and this one so far. But they are ALL phenomenal.

Lori said...

Jenster, I've never read any JD Robb either. I've read a few Noras, but they didn't do it for me, so I never bothered with the Robb books. Granted, that was many many years ago. *sigh* Someday. Time and money, that's all it takes :)

Anonymous said...

I loved that bit after she knocked the crap out of both of them and told Sommerset to take this garbage "ouf of my house" and his "almost grin" - that whole thing made me laugh out loud.

Lori, I hadn't read any Nora before I read Naked in Death and then I thought, well, if this is her, I could like it. I've been converted. Try her Gallaghers of Ardmore books or the Born In books - LOVED them.