Monday, January 29, 2007

Women's Fiction Book Meme... Lori's turn

Make sure to read Jen's and Anne's below, too.
(and can I say that I'm typing this while I'm in the middle of a meeting in freezing Chicago... LOLOL)


Contemporary, Historical, or Paranormal?
Contemporary and historicals both. Usually no preference, just depends on what catches my attention or what phase I'm going through. Hardly ever read paranormals.

Hardback, Trade Paperback, or Mass Market Paperback?
Mass market for the most part because they are the least expensive. I occasionally buy trade size. Hardly ever buy the hardcovers. See my rant on this for more info.

Heyer or Austen? Austen, definitely. No contest.

Amazon or Brick and Mortar? Amazon mostly for purchasing. I like to browse in Borders because I like to touch and read bits and pieces. Problem is, I can hardly ever walk out without something in my hands. So I should clarify and say the majority of my purchasing is from Amazon, and I buy one-offs from brick and mortar

Barnes & Noble or Borders? Mostly Borders because it's what we have in my town.

Woodiwiss or Lindsay? Lindsay if I had to choose, but only because I haven't read Woodiwiss. Frankly, I don't really read Lindsay much either.

First Romance Novel You Remember Ever Reading? Forever by Judy Blume. Wasn't that everyone's? For a "grown up" one, I think it was The Promise by Danielle Steel. Probably the last book by her I truly loved, too.

Alphabetize by Author, Alphabetize by Title, or Random? HA! I'm lucky if they get thrown into a paper bag (ducking all you anal-retentives out there). Mostly they get stacked on tables until the stacks fall over. Then I know it's time to make a trip to the library to donate.

Keep, Throw Away, or Sell? See above. Plus, I send to friends. I do have a few keepers, and those I keep stacked on a shelf under the TV in my bedroom. In no particular order.

Read with dustjacket or remove it? With it. I'm with Jen and Anne. Dunno why you'd remove it. On the few occasions I read hardcovers, they make the best bookmarks. *g*

Sookie Stackhouse or Anita Blake? Have to admit, I've never read either.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? I usually try to make it to a chapter break, but since I usually do my reading in bed, sometimes that doesn't happen. If I'm not in bed, I'll usually stay up until I finish the book, even if that's 3 am. My hubby hates it when I do that!

It was a dark and stormy night or Once upon a time? Depends what I'm in the mood for. A good romantic suspense may start with "It was a dark and stormy night", but a good straightforward romance may start with "Once upon a time"...

Crusie or SEP? SEP, I suppose, but frankly, neither is my absolute favorite.

Buy or Borrow? Both. I admit to buying way more than I should, but I like to support my authors. But my friends out there are the greatest. I've got a little lending ring, and we send books back and forth. Since many of us don't keep a lot of our books, it works out great!

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendations, or Browse? Ummm, I have my favorite authors, and I go by recommendations from friends, too. Jen and Anne know what I love, and I've found some new friends out there who share the same tastes as me. For instance, I know if Nikki liked something, chances are I will, too.

Tidy Ending or Cliffhanger? Tidy ending, usually... unless it's a series, then I can handle cliffhangers. : ) I also have to steal Anne's answer. I like my HEA. I don't want to be left wondering if my H&H are gonna be happy.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading, or Nighttime reading? Mostly nighttime, simply because I work full time. But I do try to sneak in soime lunchtime reading, especially if I'm in the middle of a great book that I can't put down. And, although I shouldn't admit it... one of the advantages of bumper-to-bumper LA traffic every day is lots and lots of reading time. *g*

Series or Standalone? I'll read both. Lots of posts lately about series that drag on too long. I agree with those. However, unlike Anne, most of the time, I could give a rat's ass (pardon my french, Jules - may you RIP) if I read in or out of order. (Waiting to hear the thud coming from Anne's direction!)

Favorite Book Which Nobody Else Has Heard Of? Dang, I don't know. I read pretty straightforward stuff. So I guess I'm SOL on this one.

So... who am I going to tag?
I've seen a lot of you have already done this... How about if I just say... If you haven't already done it... DO IT!

1 People Gabbed:

Anne said...

Great big, melodramatic THUD and GASP. LOL

We're all pretty much alike here on the blog it seems. That's why we get along so well *G*