Friday, January 12, 2007

My "Grateful" List

Kristie did an amazingly beautiful post about the things she is grateful for, and asked if anyone else wanted to do the same. So...

1. I am so grateful I met this really cute guy in the elevator at college only to discover we lived on the same floor. I'm especially grateful that we took the time to become best friends before we allowed ourselves to become best lovers.

2. I'm grateful that I have 2 incredibly beautiful (inside and out), talented, handsome, healthy children. They try hard in school, they try hard at home (most of the time *g*) and they each have a wonderful circle of nice, supportive friends.

3. I am grateful that I had 37 years to be my daddy's "pussycat". I will always miss him, but I cherish every moment that I had to be his special little girl. Even toward the end, when he was ornery and unhappy, he tried so hard to be my daddy for me.

4. I am grateful that my children still have 3 grandparents who dote on them with their time and love, and that they are old enough to remember the 4th.

5. I'm grateful that my mom has been able to become a strong (more strong than she was before) independent woman. I was so worried that she wouldn't be able to live on her own after my dad died. She has surprised me in the very best ways. I am so proud of her.

6. I am grateful that I have in-laws that I adore, even through all their quirks (I'll save the toilet paper roll story for another day).

7. I'm grateful that, even though I have to work full time, I have a job that I enjoy, that pays very well, and that we don't have to struggle financially.

8. I am grateful that because we aren't struggling financially, my children will have some opportunities that I didn't have as a child. My oldest is going to DC for a leadership conference in April and to Australia as a student ambassador from the US this summer. Working full time sometimes sucks, but it also has its perks.

9. I am grateful that we were able to train our dog, who we thought we might have to put down due to her aggression. When we rescued her, we had no idea how huge her "issues" were. But with lots and lots of loving attention, and putting her in the correct pack order, she has come right along, and we have been able to keep her and she's a wonderful, loving member of our family.

10. I am grateful that I have such a wonderful, healthy, happy, loving relationship with my husband. We are frequently the envy of our friends, who wonder how we have gone through 22 years without ever having a fight (ok, it's 21 years. We had a fight the first year). Compromise and respect.

11. I'm grateful that my children are growing up in a household with our marriage as an example. They will know how to treat a woman right. They will know how to take care of themselves - do laundry, do dishes, clean house... all with a smile. They have a wonderful role model in their father.

12. I'm grateful that after 22 years, I still have more sex than anybody else I know.

13. I'm grateful for all the friends I've made over the years, both physical and virtual. You (the virtual ones reading this) are truly wonderful people, and have really enriched my life over the past couple years.

14. Big hugs to Anne and Jen. You guys are the very best friends. I feel honored and privileged to share web space with you every day.

Thanks, Kristie, for the push.

4 People Gabbed:

Anne said...

Crap. You made me cry. *sniffle* Hugs and great big kisses to you, my friend. You are one of the nicest people I have EVER had the good fortune to meet. And that is one thing I will always be grateful for. (((HUGS)))

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

Oh Lori, what a beautiful post! It's funny, I think, how often we forget the good in our lives and instead focus on the bad.

((((HUGS)))

Kristie (J) said...

Lori: I love that list! It's beautiful. There are so many good loving things on it. I love that you and your husband became friends before lovers, it's good to have that base to work from, and that the two of you are such a good role model for your children. And I love the pride that shines through for your children. Doesn't it feel good to think on what we are grateful for and forget about all the hassles of life for a bit? Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. And warm and fuzzy feels good.