Monday, December 18, 2006

Answers For Karen S... Best And Worst Of The Year

Blatantly stolen from Karen's blog in order to answer her questions.

I’ve read plenty of books this year, some of them have been utterly forgettable, some have moved me to tears, and others have moved me to contemplate chewing off my own arm.
So in celebration of the books we’ve read this year, good and bad, I want to know the following from you guys:

1. The Book That Everybody Else Loved That You Thought Was Wank (A.K.A the most over-rated book you’ve read this year)

I can name four off the top of my head: JR Ward's Brotherhood series (yes the WHOLE thing), Lora Leigh's Loving Lies, and Anne Stuart's Black Ice(the whole narrative thing does not work for me), and Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas.... yes, Derek's story. I can't stand that cockney crap. HATE IT. Took me out of the story.

2. The Book that Made You Cry So Hard That You Had Big Gobs of Snot Running Attractively Down Your Chin (A.K.A, the biggest tear jerker)

As a suggestion by Sarah McCarty I read Keegan's Lady by Catherine Anderson... bawled my freaking EYES OUT.


3. The Book That Nearly Made You Pee Yourself With Mirth (A.K.A the funniest book you read this year)

Susan Elizabeth Phillip’s Match Me If You Can (in total agreement with Karen on this one) and I have to add Squeeze Play by Kate Angell.

4. The Book That Made You Realise That Some Writers Should Never Get Published (A.K.A the worst book you read this year)

I'm not going to say because I don't want to be too mean. If you want to know, email me off blog.


5. The Book That Made You Realise That Your Fave Auto-Buy Author Wasn’t On The Same Planet Anymore (A.K.A, Auto-buy authors that you finally binned after years of abuse)

I have two... Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Side of the Moon and Linda Howard's Drop Dead Gorgeous(chick lit... blech... I quit half way through).

6. The Book That Lead To A Humongous Glom

On rec from Karen S and JenniferB
Naked in Death by JD Robb... read the whole effing series!!!!

7. The Book That Made You Realise That Not All Paranormals Are Crap (A.K.A the best paranormal you’ve read this year)

None this year. Absolutely zilch. Gotta read Marjorie Liu and see if she lives up to the hype and Nalini Singh... both on my TBR shelf. We'll see.

8. The Book Cover That Made You Want To Shoot The Artist (A.K.A as the suckiest book cover of the year, please provide links)

Not sure... though I'm with Karen on Changeling's covers. Yikes.

9. The Book That Made You Realise That Romance Isn’t The Same Old Same Old All The Time (A.KA the most original romance book read this year)

Can't think.... hmm... I'd have to say either Cindy Gerard's To The Brink or my re-read of The Heart of Devin MacKade by Nora Roberts or my re-read of Promises Linger by Sarah McCarty. I'm WAITING for Sarah's next book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's always got the MOST original reads of the year for me.

2 People Gabbed:

Karen Scott said...

Anne, you Heathen, I can't believe you hated Drop Dead Gorgeous, lol!

Lori said...

Hmmmmm, I don't know if I can remember this far back. I can't remember what I ate for breakfast this morning. Maybe I'll give this some thought and try posting later on this week. I have 5 glorious days off after tomorrow...

Interesting answers, Anne. Some I could have predicted, of course. *g*