Sunday, June 18, 2006

What Would You Do?

You and your sibling are in a place where you're not speaking to one another due to a fairly ugly argument, and while you manage to be civil if forced into proximity, but it's not a pleasant situation. Now it's Father's Day and you go to visit your dad and spend some time with him on his day. When you get there you see a vehicle in the drive signaling your sibling and his/her family are there.

Do you drive by and go back home because they are there? Or do you go in anyway and spend time with your dad, after all, he is your parent too?

What would you do?

6 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

((((Anne))))

I know it was hard, but by going in, you did the right thing.

Be secure in the knowledge that you are the bigger person here. Your parents know it, your sister knows it (she really does, even if she would die before she ever admitted it), and most importantly, you are showing your kids the right thing to do. They will take that lesson with them.

Ann said...

Anne, Lori is right. You can never, ever fail by taking the high road. Sure it might hurt your pride a little, but your kids will benefit when they're old enough to understand.

There have been a couple of times in my life when I've had to make a similar choice, and I'm not sorry at all. That's not to say I've skipped the low road entirely, but the times I managed to "do the right thing" are the times I'm more proud of myself. I bet you will be too. It really does help build character. Our parents were right =:O

(((((Anne)))))))) Life can suk, can't it?

Kristie (J) said...

As hard as it may be, you suck it up and go in since it's your Dad's day and you have to make nice for his sake. And deep down, you'll feel better that you did.

Holly said...

Are we related? Seriously? Are you my sister posting incognito?

They're right, of course, but being in a similar situation it was really tough doing the right thing.

Sam said...

I'd go in and visit my father. That's one of the times I'm really glad the rules of etiquette were pounded into me. Politeness can mask discord, as I have found. I'd only hope my siblings would remember their etiquette to and make the visit bearable.
(((hugs!)))

Anne said...

Thanks everyone, for your input. I went in. After 5-10 minutes she and her family left. It was very disappointing as it's a big enough house to avoid one another if need be. But the thing that got me the most was she said absolutely nothing to my sons, i.e., her nephews. *sigh* And it would have been nice to hang out with my niece and nephew for a while, and for the kids to interact, but nope. Didn't happen.

I thought it was agreed upon that what happens between me and her has nothing to do with the children, but apparently that was a one-time deal. Oh well, what can ya do but live as the world dictates. ;-)