Saturday, June 24, 2006

I Need Some Help....

That's putting it mildly, huh? *snicker*

Seriously, I've pestered a gazillion people, authors included(Shelby Reed and Ann Wesley Hardin to name a few), and poor, poor Sarah McCarty the most (thank you all), but I think I should probably get out there and find a critique group rather than burdening said persons with my writing.

Oooookay. So, how do I go about finding one and joining one? How do I know what group suits my needs?

So... help? Anyone?

5 People Gabbed:

Linda said...

Does a critique group consist of other writers? I have no experience with this, but I do have an idea. Check with your local college creative writing professors.

Also what about your local chapter of RWA?

If all you need is a group of readers dedicated to helping you, boy do you have a rich field to choose from, including myself. :)

Linda

Anonymous said...

After you submit your manuscrpt, you are RWA pro elegible. This division of RWA is exactly for people in your position and have mentors and critique groups consisiting of people actively working toward publication.

There are also online chapters of RWA if you don't have a local group. As a person who came up through RWA and has received help from members of all levels through the years, I cannot reccomend enough getting involved in the organization and participating fully. Not to mention taking advantage of the huge range of resources. It is the single best place to learn your craft from others who have been down the same path or are currently going down it.

Oh, and on the "poor poor Sarah McCarty"? Get a grip. I'm enjoying watching your growth and sympathizing wiht the growing pains. Been there done that and know the rewards on the other side if yuo stick with it. And I really want you to stick with it.

Ann said...

I agree with Sarah. You should definitely be a member of RWA if you're not already. I've heard absolutely wonderful things about the PRO loop, so get out there and get yourself a rejection quickly so you can join! LOL. Seriously.

Have you thought of joining Passionate Ink--the online RWA chapter for erotic romance writers? You don't necessarily have to have crit partners targeting the same sub-genre, but it does help.

Also, nose around the eHar boards. They used to have Want-Ads for crit partners. I found mine through The Bat Cave. If you have a particular thread where the writers make you feel at home, consider leaping in and asking for advice.

Overall you probably need to spend less time on reader message boards and more on writer boards *gg*. I know. I know. Maybe not as much fun, but who told you this was gonna be fun?? ;)

Anne said...

I am currently a member of RWA and Passionate Ink, but Passionate Ink's crit group is too large for me. I'd like something smaller and more personable. So I found on The Passionate Pen romance critters group and I just joined. We'll see how it works out. I'm also going to be joining the RWA-wisconsin group to see what kinds of crit groups they have too. thanks for everyone's input! I appreciate it.

Joni said...

I found a critique partner at Harlequin in their critique section, which I'm not sure they provide anymore since they started charging a service for this a couple years ago, but I had some wonderful partners (3) of them before I submitted my first manuscript that got rejected twice. I've since been putting off getting serious again about my writing because I need an income now that I can rely on as I have a child in college (I'm still astounded at the cost it takes to put a child through school even with her 4 scholarships added in). But check there as well, even if you're not targeting any Harlequin lines. But also join RWA - it's only about $80.00 a year and the benefits are bountiful.