Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Rabid Freeloaders?

I found through KarenS, Solaine's blog, and this post about rabid freeloaders. I can totally relate to her plight. I've seen this time and time again, and It is very, very annoying when authors jump on another author's group/blog and post excerpts and expect the same praise we give the author who owns that group/blog. A lot of the time, it might be better if we said nothing, so we do, and then get scolded for not making comments. So, I've limited the number of Yahoo groups I frequent, and generally only go to Sarah McCarty's anymore. Not just because she's a good friend of mine, but because I LOVE the people, we're all friends, and the fact Sarah doesn't pimp out other authors' work is another major reason I hang out there. She's very open and lets us talk about great books we've read, but that's the extent of it which is how it should be.

Anyone have any comments or thoughts on this?

2 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

I've quickly grown tired of seeing so many author promos on chat loops also. I've severely limited the number of chat loops that I frequent as well. Partly because I'd never see my family if I didn't, but also because I constantly have to read through the excerpts and promos to find the other messages - and the sig lines... don't get me started on the sig lines! They are as long as the messages!

Don't get me wrong - I love reading excerpts, but I belong to a number of newsletters and frequently visit the publishers' sites to see what's coming up soon for just that reason.

But, I see both sides of it. I think it must be really hard for authors when they belong to another author's loop not to want to share their enthusiasm and excitement when they get a good review or have a new book coming out. It's a fine line to walk, isn't it?

Kristie (J) said...

I have no desire to join any author groups or loops. I prefer not to even read their blogs although I do like checking out their websites. I prefer the barriers up except for the odd exception between author and reader.