Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Over The Line by Cindy Gerard

I was blessed to be gifted with an ARC of Cindy Gerard's latest installment of The Bodyguards called Over The Line, Romantic Times 4-1/2 star top pick, which comes out on May 30th (thanks so much Cindy!). The book can be preordered/purchased at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or at New and Used books.com. You can also read an exerpt here.

Without further ado, here is the blurb for the book:


WHEN EVERY FRIENDLY FACE COULD MASK A KILLER…

“Sweet Baby Jane” Perkins has carved out a mega-selling reputation as rock’s favorite bad girl. But her hard-living, tough-talking image can’t prevent the sharp dose of reality that hit home when her estranged mother is killed in a car accident. As bizarre coincidences escalate in her own life, Janey grows certain that someone is watching her every move, and it’s not one of her adoring fans…

THE ONLY PERSON SHE CAN TRUST…

Since leaving the Army Rangers six months ago, Jason Wilson has been adrift, a warrior without a war. Now he’s taken his first civilian assignment for his army buddy’s security firm: protecting a rock diva on her sold-out tour. Far from being a spoiled star, Janey is a revelation—sweet, modest, and incredibly sexy. Their friendship is turning to mutual, heated desire, but it’s a distraction that could cost them more than their hearts…


MAY BE A PERFECT STRANGER.


Drawn into the depths of a deadly secret, they’ll face off against a killer growing more ruthless every day, and Jase will discover just how far he’ll go to protect an explosive passion he never expected…

Did I like this book? Yes. Did I love this book? You bet your sweet bootie I did! Over The Line is a capativating and compelling read that will have you turning page after page in anticipation of what happens next.

Jase and Janey don't get together sexually until you're into the book a bit and I have to commend Ms. Gerard on a job well done. It was like reader foreplay... I wasn't sure which was more overpowering, the anticipation in the waiting or the wanting them to just get down to it already. It was an element of the book that was wonderfully done yet drove me crazy at the same time... hence, foreplay. God, I love it when an author has me devouring the pages.


And the whodunit in this book.. man, oh man... there are so many suspects you don't have a clue as to who it is. You might think you do, then something else happens and it changes your mind. I wanted so badly to peek to the back of the book to find out who was making Janey's life a living hell, but I resisted the temptation.. and let me tell you that was very, very hard to do! I even emailed Ms. Gerard to tell her so. BUT, when I got to the whodunit, I was soooooo glad that I didn't peek! It would have ruined the surprise to find out who it really was. Let me say, I honestly and truly was shocked when I found out who it was.. my jaw dropped, my eyes bugged out, and I was like, "Holy shit!" Seriously, it was that big of a moment for me. I didn't see that coming. Not for a single second.

So, my grade for Over The Line: A It's a fan-freaking-tastic addition to The Bodyguards series, and I'm anxiously(and impatiently) awaiting Manny's story in Under The Wire which will be coming out in *gasp* December! WAIL! I've got to wait SEVEN FREAKING MONTHS? That's way too long.

But WAIT! Then we've only got to wait a little while longer, June 2007, for Dallas and Amy's story in Into The Dark. Oooooh, that's very good news. So, I guess I can overlook the SEVEN torture-filled months waiting for Manny's story since it's only a little while after that to get to the find out what happens with Amy and Dallas.. you know you're dying to know as much as I am. Don't deny it.. that would be lying


And to tide me over until then, I'll get my Cindy Gerard fix by reading her June Silhouette Desire release called A Convenient Proposition which can be preordered here and here and actually bought here at eharlequin.com because they allow you to purchase some of their titles one month in advance *G*

ADDITIONAL INFO! Also, an added bonus that Cindy just told me about in an email... "I did get a bit of good news today. My editor at SMP {St. Martin's Press} called to tell me that COSMO is featuring an excerpt of Over The Line as their red hot read in August. The issue will actually be on the stands mid-July. COSMO featured To The Edge last year so I feel really honored that they picked another one of my books."

Congratulations, Cindy! That is a BIG TIME magazine featuring your book's excerpt. Major kudos to you! I can't wait to read it!

3 People Gabbed:

Nikki said...

I am so jealous!!! I am so glad it is good. I am notorious for looking at the back of the book to see who dun it or how it ends, but I will resist! Thanks for the advice. These books are fantastic!

Anne said...

Don't look! You MUST resist Nikki! Seriously! If you peek, it will ruin the element of surprise... and what a shocker it is. Wowza!

Lori said...

I am so jealous, Anne! But... I must content myself with the knowledge that once I read Over the Line, I won't have to wait quite as long as you will for Under the Wire. I'm so crazy right now, I couldn't do it justice anyway...

I'm very anxiously waiting for it though.