Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Indignant and Defensive

Or stupid. Not sure which yet. I need to speak with the manager. Who is responsible for book promotion? Publisher? Or author? Case in point. Amy J. Fetzer. In the last few weeks, I’ve read Naked Truth (2005) and Perfect Weapon (2006). Both excellent reads.

I learned of Naked Truth through Lori. And, though some hit or miss search results, found Fetzer’s website and mention of Perfect Weapon.

After Perfect Weapon, I returned to Google in search of a book cover (for my blog review). Could NOT find her website when I searched on book title and author name.

Neither book included mention of upcoming Fetzer titles or anything about her previous titles. No author website address. Nothing. Instead, they featured lists of other books published by Kensington and upwards of three excerpts from other Kensington authors.

Fetzer’s website—once you find it—is not much help. It does not appear to be updated regularly and, given the difficulty I had in finding it, search engine optimization hasn’t occurred to whoever is in charge. As of today, her site includes no mention of any upcoming titles either.

Although zero help in print, Kensington does have Fetzer’s next release—complete with blurb and book cover—listed online. Once you figure out their very unintuitive search feature, you will find the new release by searching on Fetzer’s name. It releases June 30, 2006. Write it down if you are interested. I suspect it will slip into publication quietly, as I have yet to see any advertisement or shelf space for Fetzer anywhere.

In contrast, look at the promotion for Tara Janzen’s Crazy series. Similarly themed book covers, author website, sneak previews of HER next release—printed at the end of each book, a list of other books by Tara Janzen, and so on. Even before hitting her website, readers are left no doubt that Janzen is producing; no doubt that a new Janzen title will be available soon.

So who is responsible for doing what here? I’m not looking for an invitation to contact the author. I just want to know when and where I can plan on plunking my money down for her next book.

5 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

The author is responsible for her own website and that is the first place I go to find out what is happening next or what stories are related. Even if the author hates promo, the least she can do is maintain a website. hell, a fan would probably do it if she asked. And no, I am not volunteering. I haven't even read one of her books.

Anne said...

Well, I think the author is in charge of her own promo.. I mean, it is a write off for her after all... BUT until she starts making some decent money, maybe the costs of such promo exceeds her budget? It's hard to say. It's hard to know how much she would make off a book, but I honestly think that she should be able to hire someone on, say, a monthly basis to update her web site and have it linked to the major search engines like google and Yahoo. Sheesh... just think of all the cashola she'd be raking in if she took the time to promote her books, add excerpts, and add a coming soon page with a date and all that. Man. Maybe send her an email and alert her to the fact that you had a hard time finding her information? That's all I can think to do.

Once again, GREAT topic Jen!

Anonymous said...

It's two different areas. The author is responsible for the website updating, putting the meta tags that they expect readers search under etc.

The pubblisher determines which books they want to push or feature, what goes into the book,etc. This is determined by sell thru or expected sell thru. (how many people buy the books)

A publsiher may or may not advertise an author's books. Authors are always welcome to advertise their books whenever they want.

Shelf space is determined by numbers.

Lori said...

I agree, the web site is the author's responsibility... the book promotion by the publisher is the publisher's responsibility. I've been contacted by authors asking if they can put a link to my blog review on their web site. I've come across links to my reviews on authors' web sites where they haven't requested permission. (I'm good with it either way - items not copyrighted and published on the internet are not protected by copyright and therefore do not require permission). Many authors have found these reviews to promote simply by googling their name. It doesn't take a lot to make your web site more friendly and interesting to readers and potential buyers.

Putting on my publisher hat for a minute... The publisher promotes the book, but we always have authors requesting things of us. If it doesn't increase our marketing budget, we are happy to oblige. But, more often, authors put together their own promo packages at their own expense, believing (probably rightly so) that the publisher isn't doing enough to promote their book. Promos I've seen authors do on their own include... web sites, blogs, print materials such as flyers and brochures, giveaways, supplemental materials (I work at an academic publisher), google and yahoo search ads, ensuring their web sites are properly metatagged so that the spiders and crawlers can find them, and many others.

Jennifer B. said...

Thank you everyone. Informative and helpful answers. Appreciate it! I may contact Fetzer about it as well. Thanks again.