Friday, March 17, 2006

Deceit, exploitation? Or…furthering our collective cause?

I’m a relatively new participant in the romance reader / author blogging community. Don’tTalkJustRead.blogspot.com went online just last autumn. I have however, been a subscriber to blogs in this community for nearly a year now. Firmly entrenched, I now want to broach a topic that’s been nagging me all along. The topic is marketing, guerrilla marketing specifically.

If you’re not familiar with the term, I’ll give you an official definition and some background:

Guerrilla marketing, as described by Jay Conrad Levinson in his popular 1982 book Guerrilla Marketing, is an unconventional way of performing marketing activities (primarily promotion) on a very low budget. Such promotions are sometimes designed so that the target audience is left unaware they have been marketed to and may therefore be a form of undercover marketing (also called stealth marketing).

On the job, I use this marketing tactic in the technology sector. Not mincing any words, this involves infiltrating tech groups, loops and boards—pretending to be an individual equally absorbed and fascinated by mail server technology—providing technical assistance to others in the group without ever mentioning my company’s products. Over a long period of time, it is my expectation to one day, be able to say: “You know, there is a mail server that addresses that problem very well. I’ve used it and know it solves that problem. It is “company mail server”.” Voila. I’ve marketed our mail server to a group of individuals most likely to try it, buy it and then talk about to others. Got a sale and very likely, the added benefit of word of mouth.

So, now that you know how dull part of my job is…are you seeing the same type of activity taking place in our romance reader/author blogging community? I do. No question.

My question to you: Is it ok? Are you ok with it?

I have to say that I’m not ok with it.

I am not ok with authors, publishers or readers feigning interest in my blog only because they want me to review a book. Doesn’t sit well with me. I’ll give you two real-life examples—one from an author and one from a reader.

Offensive Example 1: New author googles her book title. Follows link to a reader blog, where the book title is listed as part of a book release schedule copied from Borders/Walden Books. Author emails blog owner. Then author emails blog participants with this message:

I wrote to [name] about my book, [title] mentioned on your mutual blog spot. She suggested I write to you and see if you would also be interested in reading/reviewing/commenting on it.
I came across your blog when I was googling my book to see what info was out there that I didn't already know about. I'm also more than happy to 'guest blog' on any writing subject.
All best, [Author name]

This author’s book was not mentioned on the blog. It was merely part of a published list of new book releases that month. Following the link, the author clearly saw it for what it was—not a specific reader mention of her title, just its inclusion on a nationally published list. To say she saw her book mentioned (inferring discussed or highlighted) is a stretch.

Also, the author offers to guest blog on any writing subject. Looking at previous blog posts, she could have easily ascertained that this is a reader blog—not one featuring writing workshops.

I’m not sure what offended me most—the not so subtle attempt to get someone to review her book online (where it can be optimized for exposure) or the fact that she did absolutely no homework here. Made no effort to understand the medium and community for what it is. Very poor attempt at infiltration. Particularly when she had the proper credentials for entry all along—she is a romance author. She should have just introduced herself as such and then blundered in with a request to review her book. I would have been far more forgiving of the intrusion.

Offensive Example 2: Long time romance reader, new to the online reader/author community, stumbles across reader blog. Having just discovered a new, DIK author, this reader can’t stop blabbing about said new author. Reader emails blog owner:

Hi [blogger],

Have you ever read [author name]? I just discovered her books and I can’t say enough about them.

[reader]


This one speaks for itself. Lame, just lame. And monumentally embarrassing.

Successful guerrilla marketing requires that the marketer insinuate himself in the community he is trying to reach. In both of the examples above, the marketers (senders) are unknowns. They have made no effort to understand or become part of this community. In fact, they are clearly ignorant of “how things are done” in this community—from the technology to the message. And they have not, in any way, contributed to the community—another prerequisite of effective guerrilla marketing.

Both examples are unmitigated disasters. Thankfully, their outcomes involved no blood-letting. In the first example, the author turned out to be a very, very nice woman. And after apologizing for my initial skepticism, I agreed to read and review her book on my blog. (Haven’t yet, but still plan to.) I have not found mention of her book anywhere else however, and can only assume her efforts were in large part unsuccessful.

In the second example, the blogger returned a very gracious reply to the reader. She did not go on to read and review the faved book, but neither did she call the reader a stupid fangirl, publicly humiliate her or tell her to F off. For which I am still grateful. (Yeah, I was the reader. Keishon was the blessedly tolerant blogger.)

So…I absolutely do not like deceitful attempts by authors or readers to exploit my reader review blog for the sole purpose of promoting their work. I just don’t care for it. It makes me uncomfortable.

I’m curious to know how you all feel on the topic. I’m also curious to know how often examples like these are happening.

BUT, I can’t just leave the topic there. Not without acknowledging the legitimate marketing campaigns occurring within the romance reader / author blogging community. I’m sure you are all seeing these as well. I’ll give two more examples.

Non-offensive Example 1: Author uses her own, long-time running blog to announce the following:

Just the viral marketing kind I mentioned below. Here’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to think about it, ha! But if you’re interested in perhaps receiving a copy of [title] in March for a blogging marketing blitz in early April, email me at [email address] and I’ll hold onto your names. (Also, please include the URL for your blog, thanks!) This does NOT mean you have to like the book. You can think it sucks toad balls and still post about it. This is simply an effort to get the word out.

No deceit. No expectation that we will say what she wants us to say. Additionally, this upfront request was delivered via her own blog. I found it (and volunteered) because I read her blog. Not because she emailed me or left comments on my blog. So, no deceit. And no intrusive, personal, crossing-the-line requests.

Non-offensive Example 2: Romance reader, well established in this community, passionate about a particular book and hell-bent on making sure every romance reader she knows reads said book. Key here? Every romance reader she knows.

Honestly, I never witnessed KristieJ forcing her love of Dreaming Of You (Kleypas) on anyone outside her contact circle. Personally, I heard from her only after I publicly acknowledged reading the book. And even then, as a subscriber to a long list of romance reader blogs, I knew who she was. Again, no deceit. No unsolicited direct contact. And she is a known. (And of course she was absolutely right about DOY.)

I see these marketing and promotion efforts as legitimate. And as furthering our collective cause—which is to carry on about romance novels. Ok, maybe that is my objective as a reader. It’s hard to shut me up when I’ve discovered a to-die-for book. Authors? Yeah, you want to share your work—arguably close to your heart--and earn some cash too. Equally legitimate. Equally understandable.

So, I am all for open, honest attempts to get me to read and review a book for the sole purpose of generating buzz for that book. You?

If you are still awake, I have two closing notes. First, I have mentioned some folks here—some outright and some within anonymous examples. In either case, if you are opposed to seeing yourself here, email me at jenniferb @ oddpost.com and I’ll pull it.

Second, there is a part two to this blather. Going back to my technology sector example, my infiltration of certain technical groups also provides me the benefit of hearing what folks in this circle are saying about my company’s products.

When I find positive mention of our products, I am apt to contact the individual directly, thank them for their endorsement and even ask to use their endorsement as part of our marketing efforts (quote on the company website or something). When I find negative mention of our products, my mode shifts to damage control. And I do anything I can to minimize that negative exposure.

I’m seeing this in the romance reader / author blogging community too. The most recent example involving a title from JR Ward. I’ll blather on about that example and the power of this community next week.

7 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

Jen, I agree. I don't like the guerilla marketing that you described. Offensive Example #1 above has been done to me, and I have to say, it really puts you in an awkward position. You don't want to be rude and say "No, don't send me your book. I have no interest." I mean, hell, what if she is the next Nora Roberts? (and I use that example in the broadest sense, since you all know I'm not the biggest NR fan, but I can still appreciate her enormity in the romance world) On the other hand, I opened up this book and noted that it is written in a style that I absolutely deplore. I know there is no way I could possibly give it a fair shake. So back to the awkward position. Maybe I just need to learn to be a bit more bitchy. Am I bitchy enough? I'm sure plenty of people think I am. I need to learn how to say no in the kindest way, while discouraging this behavior in the future. How does one do that? Any advice is appreciated :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was instructional. Thanks for addressing an issue that bugs you with such grace. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to read a well thought-out point of view.

Sam said...

Thanks for the interesting post!!

Stacy~ said...

At first I wasn't sure what the issue was, but after reading your examples I have to say I agree with you. As a reader who has my own blog like many others, I want to be conscious of how I project myself and not come across as using any of the offensive techniques. I want it to come from the fact that I just really love books and enjoy reviewing them - what someone takes away from that is up to them, as it should be.

I have only been asked to review a book by an author to whom I've already made it known that I love their books, and have spoken to them via email or met them at author signings/gatherings several times. So that I don't have a problem with that because there is a relationship, however small, there.

As for your non-offensive example #1, I believe I know who you are referring to and I think it's a great idea - she posts it at her blog, asks readers for their feedback, and follows through. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Thank you for the thought-provoking topic. I got a lot out of it and will keep it in mind.

Kristie (J) said...

Thankfully I've never had to deal with the first case you gave. No author has ever asked me to read one of their books. And to be honest I hope they never do. The second one I think is just a fan excited about a new find and I find this kind of (and I know many might not like this - but) cute. I enjoy seeing other romance readers enthusiasm for a new author discovery.
And as for my own promotion of Dreaming of You I chuckled when I saw my name mentioned here (after I gulped and thought "hope she she doesn't mean me in a bad way" - I've been doing it more tongue in cheek with a silly grin on my face more than anything else. Mind you I picked an excellent book to champion :) as most are discovering. And Derek Craven is my all time favourite hero. I've never had any communication with the author at all in case anyone ever wondered. I've started emailing a very few authors when I've particularly enjoyed a book - but never her.

Jaynie said...

I haven't had readers email me but quite a few authors have asked if I'll review their book on my blog. For those I'm interested in I say yeah sure, but um...I can't guarantee when. For those I'm not, I send a polite no thank you. It's hard for authors to stand out against the competition, there are so many authors and good books out there now. I'm lucky in that I've only received requests from nice erotic romance authors who know I review their genre.

Nice post. Another blog to bookmark damnit Karen for sending me here *g*

Jennifer B. said...

Lori - You could never be called bitchy. LOL. And I think Jayne's advice addresses your question (and mine). It's sound. A polite no if you're unsure; and, if you do agree, no guarantee on time (which should be easy for you and I since we're always laughing about how busy life can get).

Thanks Gail. And Sam! Appreciate that.

Stacey - I totally agree. A request from an author you know, one you already correspond with, would not bother me. I'd be fine with that too.

That author blogger in the non-offensive example is Alison Kent (which I'm sure you knew). She, IMO, is pretty savvy at online marketing and makes no bones about what she is trying to accomplish. It's that candidness I appreciate most. (She also reviewed the post before I put it up--which I appreciate as well--thanks Alison.)

KristieJ - I hold you up as only the best kind of example! And I do appreciate your kindness for the rabid reader in the offensive example. As that was me, I prefer "cute" to "idiot" any day. LOL

Excellent point about not having any correspondence with Kleypas.

Thanks for the advice Jayne. Sounds like the best way to handle unsolicited requests for reviews. Thanks again.