Monday, January 09, 2006

Reader Feedback

There is no greater compliment to an author than positive reader feedback on something they poured their heart and soul into. If I read a truly dynamic book that absolutely captivated me and deeply touched me as a reader, then I email that author or even sometimes write them snail mail letters.

I started out thinking, "I'm not going to email that author. They won't care about feedback and praise from little old me." But they surely WILL. I know, I've done it! If you write an email to an author they are going to open it and when they read your words of praise, they are going to smile and feel successful in making the book the best they possibly could. Why? Because it touched a reader. Even if it is just one single solitary reader, it makes more difference than you can possibly imagine.

So, have you read any fabulous books lately? Yes? Then email the author and tell them just how much you loved that book and, if you want to, tell them why. You'll be happy you did, and so will that author.

7 People Gabbed:

Ann said...

Thank you for this post, Anne! I absolutely love hearing from readers. Nothing brightens my day more. Authors most definitely care about reader feedback! I don't care how famous they are, they're still insecure little bundles of neuroses who need a boost now and then *gg*. Write to them!

Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful and oh so right post!!

Very often, writers create in a void of feedback. There can be tremendous anticipation for an author's book to release, but once it releases, there's often just this complete and utter... silence. Even telling yourself that readers rarely write about books they love is little comfort. This is your baby and you want to know if others find her as endearig as you did. Thus, there is nothing like hitting the inbox and finding a note from a reader who read your story and enjoyed it. Doesn't matter if it's your first book or your 30th book. That's always a make your day moment.

Anonymous said...

It means more to me to hear from a reader than it does to receive a positive review. Nothing can make a writer's day quite like a solid thumb's-up--or even more critical feedback--from a reader. After all, it is THEY for whom we write. :-) I credit some of those readers for pulling me out of a serious 2-year writer's block recently. They have a lot of power with this writer.

Shelby Reed

Sam said...

Sarah's right - it makes an author's day to get feedback for a story. We work in a vacuum most of the time, so it's really a treat when someone tells you they've read your book.
(thanks for thinking of us authors!)

Anonymous said...

Anne, WOOHOO. You said it so well there is no way I could improve on it. Jus sayin, hearing from a reader who felt the heart I put into that book is better than anything else. No one wants to sound needy, but most creative types are. We are always sure everyone will hate it. Hearing someone loved it is a delightful thrill.

Ann said...

Hi Anne! I've made a couple of comments here that haven't shown up. Just wanted to congratulate you on achieving yet another hard goal--letting someone crit you! And to say this post is right on! I love feedback and it always makes my day!

Anne said...

Ann- I'm currently experiencing neuroses and it's only with editing/critiquing! LOL

Ann, Sarah, Lauren, Shelby, Sam, and Gail - All too often readers forget that writers need feedback and reassurance that they have honestly and truly written something WONDERFUL. Yeah, we readers talk amongst ourselves, but that doesn't help the author, now does it? One little paragraph to an author can make a difference. This is my new motto *G*

And Shelby- If I was one of the readers who helped pull you out of that writer's block, I am so very happy because I truly LOVE your work and I hope to read more of it soon!

All of you ladies truly write remarkable stories and I can't wait to read more from each and every one of you!!!!