Sunday, January 29, 2006

New Week, New Beginning... Literally

Hi All... So I got critiques back from all my partners that I've sent my book to to date and each and every person gave me wonderful feedback... each critiquer had her own strengths and each were very, very valuable in this process. (Thank you, ladies. You are invaluable to me. Words cannot express my thanks for your help.)

So, I've been wondering how the hell to fix chapter 1. It's been eating at me and eating at me. It's so damn PASSIVE and so.. well... EXPOSITIONAL! ACK! Well, with valuable feedback from someone who has NOT read the book but said to me... "Where does the action start? Can you get rid of chapter 1? Do you really need it?" My answer was a resounding, "YES, I can get rid of it!" Chapter 1-- Deleted. : )

She then asked, "What about chapter 2? Can you get rid of that? Is it pertinent to the story?" I looked it over and told her, "Yes, I can get rid of it. I don't need it." She then proceeds to explain to me that it tells me things that I, as the author, need to know for the overall feel, but the reader doesn't need it. It's back story and, again, expositional. Chapter 2-- Deleted. : )

She then asked me, "Can you do the same for chapter 3?" And that's when I said, "No. " She then said, "There's your beginning. Can you make that work as a beginning?" I said, "Yes. Man! This is so the beginning I was shooting for. Attention grabbing from the get-go. But, I'll need to change it a bit." She said, "So add a couple hundred words and tweak it. There's your beginning."

Lori, Kelly, Jennifer B, and Karen B gave me the best feedback.. pointed out parts that conflicted, things left out... the necessary elements to make the story flow nicely. But, though I was scared shitless to receive the feedback from anyone the one who I feared most was KarenS. *wry grin* Why? If you've been to her blog, you know why. She's brutally honest. But you know what? That's EXACTLY what I needed... and not only did I get that from KarenS, but from Lori, Kelly, JenniferB, and KarenB also. An invaluable critique team.

So, now I've got a new beginning and things to add and delete from within the story... but overall, they liked the story. They liked the characterization and they liked my voice. *big sigh of relief* I was so afraid that they'd come back and tell me my book was nothing more than drivel and that they couldn't find it in themselves to finish it. I'm SO glad that wasn't the case! LOL Now, I'm off to edit.. this will take a while... but it's SO worth it. : )

BTW- Thanks to all my online pals for their support. I don't have a supportive family, well, my DH is, but my parents, my sister? No. Not supportive. They'd be like, "That's nice," in their condescending tone. Who needs that when I've got you all? You all are THE BEST!

5 People Gabbed:

Lia said...

Wow, this sounds a lot like the critique comments I received earlier this week. The reader suggested I get rid of the prologue altogether. At first, I thought, What?! Then, I decided that it was one of those scenes that helped me as a writer, but wasn't necessary for the reader.

Chapter 1 doesn't have quite the same thing. There is a lot of exposition in the first part, but there's some important stuff too. So I will rework it.

Thanks for posting. It's nice to see what another writer is doing.

Lori said...

Anne - I'm so glad that you are happy with the feedback we all gave. I felt honored that you asked for my opinion - heck, I'm just some chick who likes to read romance *g*. I think you've done an amazing job. I've said it before, but it bears saying again. Anyone can critique/criticize/rip apart someone else's work (constructively or otherwise), but not everyone can write it from scratch. That's what you've done, and I so admire you and wish that I had that ability. Congrats on a job well done! Can't wait to read the finished product!!

Jennifer B. said...

I just want to know...will you still talk to me when you're a wildly famous author? *G*

Honored to be a critiquer for you and thrilled to see you plow through the process on your way to publication.

Oh, and more than a little awe-struck. You inspire me Anne.

Sam said...

Crit partners are invaluable - that is great you have such terrific ones!

Linda said...

I'm really looking forward to reading it. Wondering how your voice differs from your chatting. ;)