Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Being a total ass

Yes, that is me. I think I have totally hurt the feelings of an author whom I consider a friend. What did I do, you ask? Well, I accidentally sent a post to her group rather than to an individual person in the group. Which was in reply to a post that person accidentally sent the group. In and of itself, that isn't a big deal, but the subject of the post made it a big deal. Do two wrong posts make a right? Well, my friends, the answer is no. And based on this author's reply, I made a total ass of myself. One of those times when you think you are being humorous, but it isn't taken in the way you intend. Especially when hundreds of people read it instead of just the one little person you meant to see it.

So, how do I make it up to this author? Aside from the public apology and the private one that I have already made (and no one responded to - ack!), do I tell her that she is one of my favorite authors to read? That I look forward with baited breath to her next book so that I can read it in one sitting as I have her others? That not only that, I admire her as a person? That I could just kill myself for hurting her feelings?

I'm not used to being in this situation. Normally, I am an upstanding citizen in society, someone people respect and, yes, even on occasion, admire. But now I've gone and reversed my self-image along with others' image of me. Well damn. I'm going to indulge in a pity party then get on with my day. Anyone else ever make a total bonehead move that you didn't know how to fix?

6 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to believe that anyone used to the way the web works would be mortally offended. We've all done that slip and while it's awkward, this too shall pass.

Sarah

Ann said...

I feel your pain, Anne. I've flubbed more than a few times and I'm the sort of person who frets and frets until it blows over. That's one reason why I severely limit how much I post. I'm a natural-born smart-ass and it often reads poorly on the 'net.

I'm sure your author will accept your apology. Chin up!

Anne said...

((((LORI)))) If the author of whom you are speaking is anyone but one specific author, she will get over it quickly and pretend it never happened. Now, if said author turns out to be like this one author that I mention, and holds a grudge, then you are better off not conversing with said author anyway because it wasn't your mistake and you were trying to lighten the incident with a joke. Sheesh!

Perk up Lori, we all still love you no matter what.. and we've all been there... some more than others (me)! LOL

Lori said...

Thanks all. I am over it now, but I did feel really bad there for a while. :)

Jennifer B. said...

((((((Lori)))))))

Late I know, but hugs are never wasted! Hoping you have put this behind you.

Karen Scott said...

Oh Anne, they'll get over it, and if they don't, well that's their look-out. Life's too short.