Saturday, December 03, 2005

Question for Authors

Hi all,

As most of you know, I'm an aspiring writer, so I'm filled with lots and lots of questions about the writing industry. The one topic that keeps rolling through my mind is agents. No, I'm not looking to get one, not yet anyway, but I'm curious as to what author has what agent and what process they had to go through to get that agent. Yes, I know about the query and all that, but how long did it take to get a reply? How many querys did you send out before you got a positive response? And after you got an agent, how long was it before you were offered a contract with a major NY publisher?

I'm by no means looking to query an agent, I'm not ready *g* BUT I would like to know the process so that if and when the day comes that I am ready, I know what to do.

Thanks in advance to any author out there willing to share their story!

1 People Gabbed:

Sam said...

I'll be glad to asnwer - I don't have an agent - I always sold my books before I could get an agent (too impatient) and the few times I did query an agent I found the rejections far more cruel than the publishers, who run to form letters or letters of revision. An agent is probably a good idea; but a bad agent is worse than no agent at all.
I'd try to find out what agents authors whose style is similar to yours have - and query them.
And Best of Luck!!!