Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving (early)



What does everyone have planned for turkey day? Anything special? Well, we are having our usual gathering of me, the hubby, and the two boys and a few of the kids' friends who aren't celebrating Thanksgiving at their house.

We make turkey with the fixings and dessert and invite those kids to stop over whose families don't celebrate Thanksgiving for one reason or another... whether it be because they can't afford it or whether they just don't think it's necessary. We have a nice meal and ply ourselves with food, watch football of course (and while they are watching football I'll be reading), then we'll heat up leftovers for dinner and gorge ourselves some more. LOL All in all a very nice and relaxing day.

My parents are having a gathering at their place for Thanksgiving and they are a little dismayed at the fact that we aren't attending, but having these kids here to share a meal is important to me and if they can't understand that, then I guess it's just too bad. I'm a compassionate person and, while I'm not rich by any means, I like to share what I can with others and this is just one very small way to do so and it makes me feel as if I've made a difference in that kid's life... at least for one day. : )

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving. May your holiday go as smoothly and be as enjoyable as I hope mine will go.

7 People Gabbed:

Ann said...

Even one T-day like the one you're describing can change a kid's perspective forever. I think you're wonderful to open your house and your heart that way.

We're having it at my house with my in-laws. My MIL and I will cook. She's a hoot because she blows in the door about 10AM, turkey in tow, looks at her watch and says, "Is it too early to open the wine?" She's 76. LOL.

The neighbors are having an open house for dessert so we'll all toddle over there, screaming drunk I'm sure, and finish the day.

Have a great one, Anne!

Lori said...

Anne, I think that your plans sound wonderful! We always allow the kids to invite a friend, too. Most often, their friends can't come because, thankfully, they are spending a happy day with their own family.

We have a tradition when I host Thanksgiving, which is most years, that we go around the table and say what we are thankful for. The rest of my family thinks it's hokey, so they don't do it on the years it isn't at my house. But I still think it's great to remind ourselves of all the wonderful things that we do have - keeps us all from forgetting that there are others who don't have the good fortune that we have.

We also donate Thanksgiving food to our local food pantry each year and the weekend after Thanksgiving, we adopt a family for Christmas.

I hope you and everyone else has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Sam said...

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in France, but because I'm American, we usually find some way to have a special family dinner around abou tnow (no vacation days so it's usually on the weekend)
This year we're sharing Thanksgiving with another American family and some French friends; and we're obliging the children to stand up and say what it is they are most thankful for this year. It's just a nice way of counting your blessings and I think it's important for kids to realize that.

Jennifer B. said...

I agree Anne; it is wonderful of you to provide the "family" for these kids on this 'family' holiday.

We are spending the day with friends (and my Mom in tow). Won't be a sit-down meal, but rather a Thanksgiving buffet with traditional and non-traditional eats. We'll just graze all day.

And more lake effect snow is on its way (another foot). So we can also plan on spending the day chasing kids around on sleds, snowball fights, etc.

Wishing you a wonderful and relaxing day! I imagine you have a good stack of books at hand. ;-)

Jennifer B

Anne said...

Thanks, Ann, I enjoy doing whatever I can for those who don't celebrate the holidays, trying to make it as special for those kids as possible. : )

Lori- I think going around the table and saying one thing you are thankful for is a wonderful idea, and one that I used this year. Hope you don't mind my sharing your idea.

Sam- I think it's wonderful that even though you live in France, you still get to celebrate Thanksgiving. Having the children say what they are thankful for is very important... it took the kids here a few minutes to come up with something but what they said they were thankful for was very meaningful.

Jenn- We do the buffet-style thing too.. we don't do a formal sit down with the kids... good luck with that. LOL But it sure is nice just getting together with those whom we care about for the holiday.

Charlie- If you lived nearby, you'd be invited to dinner also. The more the merrier I always say.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for having your friends over. I am sure your family understands what you are doing. As long as you share Christmas with your family, that is all that matters since you are the compassionate person.lol

Anne said...

Christmas will definitely be spent with my family... Christmas Eve anyway. I think Christmas Day is reserved for doing nothing but letting the kids enjoy their presents. I don't see why I should make my Mom cook a huge meal for Christmas Day just for us seeing as my sister and her family normally go to the in-laws that day. : )