Friday, October 14, 2005

Who are your favorite authors, and why?

So, who are your favorite authors, and why?

My favorites are (in no particular order as I love them all the same):

I could go on and on but those are the ones I faithfully read whenever a book comes out. The "why" is easy. They all have fantastic books, each in their own style, but they each capture my attention from the very first page of the book (which is very difficult to do as I'm a picky reader). Nothing beats a good Sarah McCarty book: Promises Linger, Promises Keep, Promises Prevail, Mac's Law, Conception, I love them all!!! Then there's Nora Roberts MacGregor series, the O' Hurley series, the Chesapeake Bay series, the Key trilogy... and on and on.

Sure, a few of the authors' books lately haven't been as good as some of their previous ones (I can pick two for sure off the list) but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up on them. It's so hard to find a really good author out there who appeals to your reading taste and I for one will stick with them until I absolutely positively can't anymore... meaning, if their style changes so much that I can't relate or be enthralled by their stories anymore.

So, there's my list. What's yours? And why? Also, are there any authors that you have totally given up on and no longer purchase/read? If so, why?

4 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

I am eager to read Jill Shalvis and Alison Kent titles, but have had no luck buying them. I live in a small town (WalMart being the primary retail outlet; no titles by either author there). Then, when traveling recently, I hit a Barnes and Noble--two separate stores--and was unable to find either author represented. I'll have to go online obviously...but will feel better about it having seen both on your fave author list.

Karen Scott said...

A lot of my favourite authors don't actually write romance, but other favourites include:

Sharon Sala - now I know that some of her books can be a little hit and miss, but after reading The Way To Yesterday and Sweetbaby, I put her on my autobuy list.
She writes some truly heart-breaking stuff, and I'm a sucker for books that can draw my tears.

Sarah Mccarty of course, because just like Sharon Sala, her books have the ability to make me cry. Promises Prevail was one of the most beautiful books I'd read in a long time

Lori Foster, because I always like her characters, and I can't say that about every book I read.

VLT, I love her 'Nerd' series.

I stopped reading Nora when her books started sounding the same, but I've recently bought some of her stuff. They're probably gonna be on my TBR pile forever.

I have a few more faves, but the above are the ones which come to mind straight away!

Anonymous said...

Read Jill Shalvis' GET A CLUE. Oh my. HOT HOT HOT and so damn funny.

Anne said...

KAREN! I LOVE VLT's "nerd" series. Good stuff and funny. Gotta love a hunky nerd. : )
Sharon Sala, well, I have to admit that she's not an autobuy for me anymore because she is hit or miss and I dislike that.
I almost gave up on Nora but it's really hard for me to do. Her latest is one of the best she's had in a LONG time.. review will be coming soon. The "flower" trilogy so far hasn't been up to par for a NR book. Not one of her best.
Lori Foster is another must have for me. Jamie was fantastic. Everything I had hoped it would be.

Sherrilyn Kenyon's DH series hasn't been the best lately (the last 2 books were just okay), but I still haven't given up! I'm holding onto the hope that she goes back to the ways of old when the series began and will write like that again.

Gail- Jill Shalvis never disappoints. I read her "firefighter" books and Harlequin books and absolutely LOVE them, so I'm looking forward to Get A Clue!

Jenn- Try Alison and Jill, they write great stuff. If you go to www.eharlequin.com you'll see some online reads from one or both of them. There are some samples for ya! : )