Wednesday, December 10, 2008

From ebooks to NY

How many of you ever stop to think "I knew so and so author" when they were just starting out? Or "so and so author" that I know and love may be the next Nora Roberts. As I watched Lauren Dane’s VBlog yesterday about making it onto the B&N and the Border bestseller lists with Undercover (congrats, BTW), I started thinking about how many of the authors that I’ve read faithfully over these years at the e-publishers are making it up to NY and doing it successfully. And then which of them I think will have staying power.

Lauren Dane is one of those. Because even though Undercover is a futuristic erotic ménage romance, and who knows if and when that ship may run its course, she can write straight ahead contemporary too, and we all know that will never go away. I started thinking about what I’ve been reading, and who’s been making headlines around the blogosphere lately that really got their start in ebooks.

Of course we all know about Jaci Burton and Lora Leigh, but I was thinking of the lesser knowns, like Beth Kery, who seems to have a hit on her hands with Wicked Burn. Or Beth Williamson, who has her Brava debut coming with the rerelease of The Education of Madeline. Charline Teglia also comes to mind. Sarah McCarty, too. (Stupidass question – did Megan Hart start in ebooks?) And why the hell hasn’t someone snapped up NJ Walters for crying out loud? Hmmm?

Anyway, tell me, what authors have started out in ebooks that you love, and who do you think will still be here 20 years from now because they write not only what’s hot right now, but that has that something special that resonates with readers no matter their genre preference.

9 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

Aww, thank you! And I am SO with you on NJ, who I think is wicked talented). Yes, Megan started out at Amber Quill by the way.

Some of those authors I think about in response to your question? Megan Hart, Anya Bast, Jaci Burton, Beth Williamson, Joey Hill, Ann Aguirre, Christine Warren - so many I can't remember them all right now.

Unknown said...

hmmm... one of my favorites (that I've not seen mentioned) Shiloh Walker, I just devour her books

Lori said...

D'oh! Trust me to forget Shiloh!! (haha, pun intended!). Total oversight on my part, since I love her books. She's another who can write the straight ahead emotion-laden contemporary as well as other genres. Yup - she'll be around for a good long while.

Thanks for pointing that out!!

N.J.Walters said...

Thank you so much for the huge compliment! I'm thrilled to have my name listed alongside those other fabulous ladies.

I plan to keep on writing. I figure if I'm at it long enough my day will come.

Hugs
NJ

Beth Williamson said...

Hey thanks for putting me in the list with those fabulously awesome writers. I am in great company. :)
Another that comes to mine for me (ebook to NY) is Shelly Laurenston.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for mentioning me!

I remember when Mary Janice Davidson and Angela Knight made the jump from e-books to New York. I thought back then...wow, that was just such a huge thing. Then Lora did it, then Shiloh, and Cheyenne McCray, and I kept hoping that someday it might be my turn.

I got lucky and got to follow in some awesome authors' footsteps. And there are so many incredibly talented authors, like Lauren and Anya and Charli who so deserve all the success they're having.

And NJ...I agree with everyone else. It's your time!

Lori said...

Wow, Jaci, see? I had no idea that Mary Janice Davidson got her start in epublishing. That's what I'm talking about here...

I think I just assumed she was one of Lori Foster's finds, kind of like Erin McCarthy.

I think my point is this: all the authors you've all named here so far don't write specifically in one genre. You all have the ability to cross over into multiple genres, and do it well.

Obviously, I think some of you have a niche that you prefer - for example, Beth I think obviously prefers the western historical (THANK GOD!!!), but you all won't get stuck in a genre that goes away when it loses its new shoe shine for NY (like paranormals, or futuristics, or time travels, or whatever). You'll be able to adapt well and write what readers want, and write it well. Because every one of you can write a good solid wonderful contemporary, if the story came to you.

So I think that all the people who dis the e-publishing world are really short sighted. This is where so many of our wonderful "NY" authors are coming from. After all, where would Meg Ryan be without As the World Turns?

Side note: can you tell I lurrrrve me some western historical? LOL!

Beth Williamson said...

LOL - ah, so do I (obviously). There ain't nothing like a hard man in chaps. ;)

Anonymous said...

Awwww... thank you!