Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Bookworm award/meme

So, Holly tagged me with a Bookworm award (thanks, Holls!), and here's how it works.

Open the book closest to you, not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment, to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence, as well as two to five sentences following there.

The book closest to me happens to be A Rake's Guide to Seduction (Zebra Historical Romance) by Caroline Linden. I absolutely loved this book. I'm struggling to write up a review. I've read about 10 really awesome books in the last few weeks, and I got nothin' other than "Wow, great book. Loved it." If inspiration comes to me, you'll get a whole shitload of reviews of really great books spewing forth. Anyway, on to the meme.

This section comes from the journal of the heroine, Celia, as she details the demise of her marriage. Sad stuff.

May 1820
Bertie has not returned from the Meltons' these four days. He sent word that a party of guests from Oxfordshire was also detained, and as they were excellent company he found it gratifying to stay.
It is rather disappointing that my company is not so desirable to him.

This book is perhaps the best of the Reece sibling trilogy, IMO. Great heroine, great great, great hero. Loved Anthony to death. I love that the heroine goes into her marriage in love, and sticks it out to the end. And that she doesn't take up with our hero immediately, but mourns her idjut husband, or at least the loss of the life she had or felt like she might have had (or at least she feels like she should mourn, and does so in all honesty). And my heart broke for our hero from the get-go. When he went to ask for her hand from her brother, and was told that he had just that day given permission to someone else. Ouch, what a heartbreaker. I was so happy to see these two come together, finally.

OK, I'm getting a bit of a twinge... maybe I'll write up a full review. Thanks for the inspiration, Holly!

I believe I now have to tag 5 other folks for this award/meme (review not necessary, LOL!). So....

Rosie
Wendy
JenniferB
Jessica
Stacy~

3 People Gabbed:

Rowena said...

Never read this book before but if you love it, I'm mighty curious!

Lori said...

It's part of a trilogy, Wena. They were all good, but this one was just beautiful. The trilogy in order is:
What a Gentleman Wants
What a Rogue Desires
A Rake's Guide to Seduction

Rosie said...

Lame-o that I am I'm going back through old posts I missed and read I'd been tagged. I suck! Sorry Lori for missing out on this. But I'm back now and... Well, I'm back. ;-)