Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Google Chrome Makes Its Debut

For those of you who don't know what I do for a living, I'm a tech geek. I write code all day long. I write web pages. I analyze shit. I look at web analytics all day. I write reports about all the crap I do. And I'm on the internet (unfortunately, not playing most of the time). 


I heart those Google guys. They always seem to come up with something one step ahead of the next guy. Witness GoogleChrome. What do I love? It's blazin' fast. It's easy to use. It's tabbed, but better than IE 7 or Firefox. And it's Open Source, which may not mean anything to you, but to a code geek, it's like manna from heaven. You can use anything they've written, and not have to ask permission. People steal code all the time, but it's not usually the right thing to do. Google has said - hey, it's the internet - we're the best. Take what you want from Google Chrome and share it with the world. Um, well...... OK.

If you are looking for an easy to use browser, look no further. It will import all your bookmarks, saved passwords, etc, no problem, too.  Give it a try.

It's brand new, of course, and I may change my mind... I'll let you know if I do.


6 People Gabbed:

Rosie said...

Always happy to see stuff like this (google chrome) because, well, I'm really dumb when it comes to code or anything like it. I have to muddle through and figure stuff out on my own. Hence the reason my blog hasn't changed in like forever.

Secondly I couldn't believe I hadn't been here since August 21st post. Yikes! Glad to see you are all hale, hearty and well.

BTW, me too on Edwards...

Dev said...

Looks good. I just made the jump to firefox, though!!! Now it looks like I may have to make another jump.

Lori said...

Welcome back Rosie! Although I feel like I should be saying that to myself, LOL. I've been luriking everywhere, reading posts, but haven't posted a comment hardly anywhere!

As for Google Chrome - I have found that not all plugins work all that well. And not everything works in it yet at all. It threw me out when I was reading a PDF - that did not thrill me. But I imagine they'll get up to speed very quickly. They are Google, after all.

Lori said...

Dev, I'm laughing, because I still have people hee at work who ask me, "What's Firefox?"

Each browser has its pluses and minuses, so everyone has to find the one that works best for them. I have to use all of them for work, so at any given moment, I have IE 6, IE 7, FF 2, FF 3 and Safari all open with multiple tabs and windows open in each. Needless to say, people walk past my cube, see the 2 monitors, both looking really schizophrenic, shake their heads and walk away. LOL!

I don't sit in the IT dept, where I'd just be another one of the gang... I sit in the middle of the martketing dept. They all think I'm crazy, LOL!

Linda said...

I hope they get Chrome up for Mac sometime soon. I saw the info on the news about it and was just getting on the computer to see about using it when the commentator finished with, "but they don't have it ready for Apple users, yet." *sigh*

Dev said...

Lori ~ I'm happy with firefox so far, and it took me a long time to make the jump. Mailyn was bragging about it for I don't know how long.