Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Until You- Judith McNaught

SPOILERS, LOTS OF THEM. So if you haven't read this book, stop reading here.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

HIGHLIGHT TO REVEAL- A courtesy for those who are on a blog reader *G*

For Nath, my explanations on why I didn't like Until You as much as Once and Always.


Okay, Until You-

HIGHLIGHT FROM HERE DOWN
I liked the beginning and how they ended up together.

I didn't like that he let her wear his mistresses lavender gown. PFFT.
I didn't like that he wanted to pawn her off on someone else.

I liked that she got under his skin.
I liked her, and the fact that she thought her hair was "brazen" when she didn't remember what she looked like and saw the bright red curls.
I liked the family setting.

I didn't like when he went to his mistress and had sex with her-- even though he and Sherry weren't technically "together" it still, in a way, constitutes as cheating. At least to me and I'm very picky that way. I just don't get how he could have gone to Helene when he wanted to be with Sherry. Denial, yes, but Argh!
I didn't like how he used her, and roughly at that, KNOWING that she was a virgin. He was cruel and at that moment I thought him a bastard.

I was glad about the way things were resolved and the fact that he and Nicki fought. Heh.

The ending was nice, but one final thing I didn't like was that he NEVER in the entire book told her he loved her.
TO HERE


E
N
D

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

So, there you have it. My likes and dislikes. I have the anthology up next with Julianne Skeffington, so we'll see how that goes. I suppose I have to get used to the fact that during that time men more often than not treated women harshly... but in my eyes, heroes don't. *shrug* Is that unreasonable of me? Unfair of me? Is this going to be a problem as I continue on reading Historicals?

Thoughts?? Opinions? Advice?

10 People Gabbed:

nath said...

LOL, thanks for answering my question :D At least, now, I know why :)

**SPOILERS**

Question 1... visit to his mistress, are you referring to the one from which he came back and found Sherry and the servants in the kitchen singing Christmas song? Cos if memory serves, it's that's the one you're talking about... then technically, nothing happened right? They went out (opera or something) then, he came back home instead of going to her bed... if memory serves. I understand what you mean about the cheating and I'm very peculiar about it too, but in this case, I don't consider it cheating... :P

As for the fact that he's trying to pawn her off... i didn't feel as strongly as you did. I mean, he wants to help her out, because he killed her fiance, so he's trying to find her a good husband. It's not as if he's really pro-active, since he's rejecting all the suggestions people are giving to him :P

Finally, the sex scene... nothing will excuse his behavior, but don't forget, he didn't really believe she was a virgin. Like I said, it doesn't excuse it, but it does explain it.

**end of spoiilers**

As for your question... I think that was a trend in older historicals such as McNaught... nowadays, I guess it's more "romanticized" and heroes, more "idealized" and so there's a lot less heroes treaing the women harshly. If you stick to newer historical authors such as Kleypas, Laurens and such, I don't think you'll run into that problem anymore. Is it unreasonable or unfair from you? No, not really... it's just your reading preferences. After all, we do read romances for entertainment and their idealized romances... not historical accurary.

Anne said...

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Nath,

Nope, he did sleep with her. He even realized it wasn't for the emotional connection but for the release. The mistress asked him what was wrong and he said nothing but then she brought up Sherry. So, he did sleep with her, if only for the physical release. PFFT. I suppose back in those times it was acceptable, as it's been stated, to have a mistress, but dude that irks me. :-)

As I continue reading, I'll just have to be more forgiving and realize it was the way things were. I sure would have hated to have lived in that time.

Last night read about Julianne and Nicki. That was cute. Short and sweet.

Holly said...

Last night read about Julianne and Nicki. That was cute. Short and sweet.

Really? I hated that story. I think Nicki totally got the shaft. He deserved more than what he got. And it pisses me off that he never once says he loves her. "I yearn". Ok, and? A lot of people yearn. Julianne deserved more than that, IMO. But then, so did Nicki.

As for UY:

**SPOILERS**

The biggest issue I had with this story (well, one of the biggest issues) is that Stephen was a completely different character in this book than he was in W,ML, and the reason for his "transformation" was ridiculous and totally unbelievable.

And he was just an ass all the way around, but I couldn't like Sherry, either. Nothing about the story worked for me. Blech.

Anne said...

Okay, Holly. Am I going to like ANY of the rest of her historicals? If not, tell me now and I won't even bother. *G*

Holly said...

Which ones have you read, Anne?

nath said...

Anne, me think you should give a try to Something Wonderful... I think you'll like that one.

Anne said...

Holly- I've read Until You, Once and Again, and just read Nicki and Julianne's story in Miracles.

Something wonderful, Nath? I'll give it a try. :-) Up next will be either Lord of Scoundrels or Breathless by LLG.

Holly said...

Those are the only ones you've read?

For the love of all that's holy, do NOT read Whitney, My Love or A Kingdom of Dreams. I repeat: DO NOT!

Although..you may want to, just so you know why they're so awful.

Something Wonderful is really good, and so is Almost Heaven. I luurrve Almost Heaven.

The thing with JM is, even when I loathe a character (Jenny from AKOD) I can still love the story itself.

Lori said...

LMAO!! I have to agree... Whitney, My Love was not my favorite of the bunch.

Something Wonderful... now that wsa a good one!

Tell me why I'm not surprised that I agree with Holly? And she's right. You can hate a character, they can do something that would make a book a wallbanger in any other book, and still adore the book.

Take the did he or didn't he argument going on over at Book Binge... who doesn't luurrrve Jason? Cheating? Wallbanger for any other book. Him? Well, yeah, but it didn't mean anything to him. We're all ok with it, and Once & Always remains close to the top of everyone's JM list.

Now that you've read it, Anne, go check out The Great Jason Debate at the Book Binge: http://thebookbinge.blogspot.com/2008/06/judith-mcnaught-great-jason-debate.html

Rowena said...

Amen to all of that sister! =) This was my least favorite of all of JM's books. Mostly because I detest amnesia stories and for the reasons Holly stated about Stephen. He was completely different from the Stephen we read and loved in W,ML and for that, I just couldn't care for his character the way I probably would have if he was the same guy.

I'm with you guys on the whole Miracle's story too. I yearn is SO not the same as I love you and I hated the way that Nikki desserted Julianna only to come back all that time later and everything be all peachy and then after all of that, he doesn't even say I love you, just I yearn too...Oh effing please, Yearn This!