Friday, June 20, 2008

Love em or leave em? That is the question

So I was leaving a comment on Rowena's review of After the Kiss by Suzanne Enoch, and it made me think of how much I absolutely loved her older historicals. If you've ever read my review of England's Perfect Hero, you know that it's on my list of all time favorite books, and it's a comfort re-read for me as well.

Having said that, I wasn't as thrilled with her Griffin siblings series. I didn't dislike it, it just wasn't as great as her previous work. And I liked the first Sam and Rick contenp, but the rest have kind of left me cold.

Wena's review of After the Kiss was great, and she really loved it. I'm waiting and hoping that SE can recapture that special something that made me adore books like her Lessons in Love series.

How about you? Are there any authors that you still like, but just don't love anymore, and you're waiting for them to recapture that 'spark'? Yet, you can't stop buying them, cause you keep thinking, maybe this is the one?

4 People Gabbed:

Dev said...

Good question, Lori. Honestly? I'm not sure. I've completely stopped buying Sandra Brown and Diana Palmer books. I liked Sandra better when she did CR; and Diana, she's just repetitive. I did buy their books out of habit for a long time after I'd quit reading them, just simply out of habit.

I own all of Johanna Lindsey's books, but more than not, I'm just *meh* about reading her anymore.

Anonymous said...

Yep there are quite a few authors that I've been feeling that way about. :) Many of them I've found the cure for compulsively buying the book (because I've felt 'meh' about too many of their books) but I still pick the books up and *almost* buy them.

Anne said...

There are two author off the top of my head that I can honestly say I have given up on- Karen Robards and Barbara Delinsky. I used to read Delinsky when she was more romance-y, and now she's all women's fiction and tries to deny she ever wrote romance. PFFT. And Robards... well, her style has changed and I just can't get into it. *shrug* I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Jennifer B. said...

Hmmmmmm, Sandra Brown and Linda Howard come to mind. Elizabeth Lowell definitely fit the category awhile back, but I've found glimmers of that old spark in her last two or three. Have to say I never truly give up though. Still read all their new titles each year. It's like homework.