Wednesday, June 25, 2008

REVIEW: Sweet Talk - Susan Mallery

Is there anything sweeter than a first love?

Don't ask Claire Keyes. The twenty—eight—year—old piano prodigy has never had a regular boyfriend, much less a real romance. Her music career has left little room for friends or family—which is just part of the reason she hasn't seen the family bakery or her two sisters in years.

But now Nicole is sick, and Jesse is AWOL. Despite the fact that Claire can't boil water, she's determined to play caretaker. Connecting with her sisters tops her to—do list…along with falling in love, or at least in lust, for the first time.

Ruggedly sexy Wyatt just might fit the bill. Although he keeps saying that he and Claire come from entirely different worlds, he lights up hotter than a bakery oven whenever Claire is near. If this keeps up, she just might sweet—talk him into her bed…and her life.
I will begin by saying I had mixed feeling about this book. In some ways I liked it, in others I, well, to be honest, hated it. I must start with the thing that drove me batshit crazy throughout the whole book--Nicole's (the heroine's sister) attitude. She is by far the bitchiest, stubborn, irrational, single-minded character I've ever seen Ms. Mallery write... and I don't mean that in a good way. All three sisters have serious personality flaws and ones that either the reader will be willing to accept or ones that the reader will dislike. I fall into the latter category. I can't put my finger on one thing that had me not liking this book very much... whether it was the characters, their attitudes, the immaturity displayed by the 20-something-year-old females in this book, the fact that I didn't really "see" the romance developing..there was a zing for him, three chapters later she felt the zing, then whamo! Chemistry. They hadn't hardly spent any time together. The reasons for why Claire has sex and the reasons why Wyatt doesn't want more than that were cliched. Normally I can handle a cliche, but this time, it just didn't work for me.

Sorry for bouncing all over the place with this review, but it really was a confusing and exhausting book. I think, looking back, it really was the immaturity and personalities of the sisters that turned me off of this book. It felt like it should have been a YA book-- almost-- or a relationship novel for the women and should have just left the romance out of it, because to me the romance honestly felt like an afterthought.

So, while Susan Mallery is one of my favorite authors, I must admit to not liking this book much. My overall grade (and I cringe as I admit the truth): D.

12 People Gabbed:

nath said...

Hi Anne :D

I totally agree with you on this book... it definitively wasn't the best Susan Mallery I've read and oho gosh, it was really hard to get through sometimes. Nicole definitively has a huge attitude problem and so does Jessica. Some stuff I didn't understand... like why Claire never contacted her family or vice versa...

The surprising thing though is that I'd like to read Nicole's story. I read the back blurb and the excerpt... of course, it has more to do with Hawk... but Jessica's book? NO FREAKING WAY!

Anne said...

They were just so beyond immature, weren't they Nath? I mean Claire wasn't nearly as bad, but she was starting to transition over and I didn't like that. SHE wasn't like that. The sarcasm didn't become her at all.

Nicole's book--it looks interesting, but I don't know. She bothered me more than Jessica. I mean, I figured out that Jessica was acting out because of Nicole rubbing things in all the time about her sacrificing so much- oh woe is me- ACK. Victim! She wasn't the only victim! But Nicole couldn't see past herself to see that Claire was as well, and now she can't see it with Jessica. Sigh.

I'll read the rest of the trilogy, but, as you said, this is not some of Susan Mallery's best work. I was so hoping this would be something like the Marcelli sisters. Alas, it is not to be...

Dev said...

Oh no!!! I'm actually planning on picking this one up tomorrow (PS ~ I hate being broke between paydays). I'm just a sucker for a cute cover, what can I say.

Anne said...

Hi Dev,

You might like it, but I'm not sure. It's not up to Mallery's usual standards and I'm saddened by that as she's a fave of mine. Let me know what you think after you've read it. I'm interested in your thoughts on the book. :-)

nath said...

Ugh, I doubt Dev will like it ^_^;

and yes, they were all very immature. I agree with you that the romance between Claire and Wyatt was not very good... it seemed unbalanced... the weirdest thing is that she was sooo happy to be pregnant... Wyatt really came as an afterthought. It's like she didn't really care about him... if she had him, good, but otherwise. Just weird. (it was funny though when she told Nicole to go get pregnant and how it was easy).

As for Jessica and Nicole... well I still find Jessica more annoying. Both are quite selfish, but Jessica definitively crossed the line in my opinion... and talk about immaturity. "I don't want to hear it/I don't need this from you right now" - I think that all the conversations Jessica had finished this way. Ugh.

Dev said...

Nath's right. Chances are, if she didn't like it I more than likely won't either. We seem to have similar tastes when it comes to books ~ except for I like historicals more than she does.

Chantal said...

Shit. I planned on reading this.
I still will, just not right now, I guess.

Anne said...

Okay, Dev, if you haven't spent the money, don't. I can send you mine after my mother tortures herself with it. If you have... I'm sorry. I hope to hear you liked it better than Nath and I did.

Chantal- Just get it over with and read it. Think of it like pulling off a Band-Aid. Why put off the torture or prolong it? Just get it over with. (Yes, it pissed me off that much... and it will NOT be going on my Mallery Keeper Shelf with my many sheiks and the Marcelli sisters). PFFT.

Dev said...

Anne ~ Sorry to disappoint. I doubt I'll finish it. I'm only on page 50 and I can't find anything to like about it so far. I hate Nicole and I don't like Wyatt. I'm still unsure about Clair, because I don't know her yet.

Interestingly enough, I still want to read Nicole's book. I read the blurb on the back and it looks good. I like Hawk. I just don't know.

nath said...

LOL, Dev! We definitively have similar tastes! I warned you, you wouldn't enjoy Sweet Talk :P and I'm with you, I want to read Nicole's book... Hawk seems so nice and yummy... and hey, maybe she'll get a better attitude? we can always wish...

Rowena said...

I have this author on my TBR list but I'm not in any big rush to try her out.

I love the cover though.

Anne said...

Rowena- If you decide to try Susan Mallery, start with the Marcelli sisters books...The Sassy One, The Seductive One, and the Sparkling One. Those are her best by far.