Thursday, May 29, 2008

REVIEW: Through The Veil - Shiloh Walker

Blurb:

Found wandering in a field as a child, Lee Ross was given a name by the state and put in a foster home—without anyone realizing she wasn’t entirely human. All her life, she’s tried to forget the odd dreams that have plagued her, of monsters creeping through the night and a man fighting demons by her side. But the bruises she wakes with are all too real to ignore…

Then the man from her dreams appears—in the flesh. His name is Kalen—and he insists that her destiny lies in his world, the world of her dreams. To save their people, he must convince Lee to give up everything she knows, follow her heart, and cross over into the Under Realm—even though once she does, she’ll never be able to return.
This was my very first Urban Fantasy so I wasn't sure what to expect. Add in the fact that it's mixed with paranormal ... well, generally that's not my style. But, I'd been wanting to try UF for a while, and when Shiloh offered the ARC, I snapped it up. Why? Because I love her writing. LOVE IT. So I figured the fact that I always enjoy her writing would be a great way to ease into the UF genre. I was right.

I have to admit that the beginning, the world building, was a little slow going for me, but in some ways I think the route Shiloh took was necessary because there is A LOT of stuff going on in this book. So many different creatures... some of them just way creepy. Shiloh sure has a GREAT imagination. Anyway, I'm not going to rehash the book and what happens in it except to say... expect the unexpected.

In Through The Veil Shiloh took me on a journey to another world. One that was bleak and dark and, frankly, scary. I mean I sure as heck wouldn't want to meet up with one of those Sirvani or Ikacado demons. *shudder* I loved Lee. I loved how Shiloh didn't make Lee one of those tough-as-nails women who ends up in a different dimension/world and doesn't get freaked about it but instead kicks ass without hesitation. I like how Lee was "humanized"... how she did get freaked and how she did wonder what she was doing there and just what the hell was going on.

Enter Kalen. Oh, hunky Kalen. He is no pushover. He gives Lee the what-for more than once and I like that about him. He doesn't push her farther than he knows she can go, but he does give her the shove she needs to be what she needs to be and helps her down the path in finding it.

There are a lot of twists and turns in this book, creatures from your worst nightmares, a lovely romance in spite of the chaos and war, and the occasional surprise in the story that will keep you turning the pages. I thoroughly enjoyed Through The Veil and I hope that Shiloh will continue this as a series. It certainly would be interesting to see where Kalen, Lee, and their people go from here. (Hint, hint *G*)

My grade: B+.


Other reviews:

Casee at Book Binge
Stacy at Stacy's Place

You can preorder it now here, here, here, or here.

14 People Gabbed:

Stacy~ said...

Great review. You said what I meant to say in mine *g* I definitely recommend it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Stacy. :)


Anne, thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked it. ;) An imagination? Me? Heh...one of these days I'm going to pen down some of the nightmares I have.

Shudder.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Stacy. :)


Anne, thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked it. ;) An imagination? Me? Heh...one of these days I'm going to pen down some of the nightmares I have.

Shudder.

Anonymous said...

ditto what stacy said...if only I were so good with the words! LOL

I loved Lee for the same exact reasons you did, she showed a vulnerablity that made her easier to relate to.

I want MORE of this world there were more than a few directions/charaters I would love to follow

Anonymous said...

uh... double posted somehow. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

trustme, there are a couple of character in Veil that are tickling my writer's bone.

And a couple who weren't introduced that seem to be talking.

We'll just have to see. :)

Pamk said...

ooh sounds good. I love series. Sounds like Kat has a hard choice ahead of her. looking forward to learning more about her, Kalen and their world.

Cathy M said...

Really like the storyline, and congrats on another great review.

Lori said...

I totall missed this week!! Thanks for being here, Shiloh! So sorry I wasn't here to hang with you!!

Can't wait to read the new book :)

Anonymous said...

:)

Thanks, people.

Hope all of you took a few minutes to do the scavenger hunt. It's an easy one... *G* I was too frazzled for anything more complicated.

CrystalGB said...

Great review. I would love to read this book. :)

azteclady said...

Shiloh, srsly?

More books in this world????




*vibrating* oh man oh man oh man!



*ahem*

azteclady said...

Ack, please don't enter me in the contest, Anne--I got an ARC

*hunching over ARC* mine mine mine!

Anne said...

I KNOW, AztecLady! How COOL would more books in this world be??? Wheeeeeeeee!!!

I saw you had an ARC... I've got one too that I'm clinging to as tightly as you are clinging to yours. LOL Fabulous book.