Sunday, April 27, 2008

Proud mom

One of the things that Jeff has to do for his bar mitzvah is to complete a "mitzvah" (good deed) project. Basically, it's a community service project. Lots of kids do stuff like clean up a local park, or collect cans and bottles and donate the money to a Jewish charity. One girl in his class collected blankets for a local vet who does pro bono work on the side. Another is collecting beauty supplies for imprisoned women to help them feel better about themselves. My son is definitely my child all the way. What's his project??? BOOKS!!!

There is a local organization that collects books to replenish or even begin local school libraries in mostly impoverished or underserved areas (but not always). Because of his love of reading, and his love of checking out books from the library, he chose to collect books for this organization and distribute to local school libraries. Cool, no? While he sometimes irritates the hell out of me, I have to admit, he is a great kid. The organization is called BookEnds, and they do a great job in the local Los Angeles area. If you visit the web site, click on the link to read the story of how the organiation was founded, cause it was founded by an 8-year-old boy. Extra cool.

So... if you have any old kid's books lying around that you don't want anymore, and feel the urge to plop them in the mail, shoot me an email and I'll send you my address. You can see his flyer up on Google Docs here (it's prettier in its PDF format, but hey, you gotta love Google Docs for sharing!).

3 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I love it when kids love books :) What a great project!

Lori said...

Agreed - way cool. And I love it that he loves books, Erin. Our library is so awful, too. I was so happy when he started reading more adult books, and got into fantasy. The boys series section was just horrendous - I had to buy everything for him. Which I suppose wasn't oo awful, cause he's a rereader, like me. But he's also a really fast reader, like me.

He insisted on all the HPs in hardcover (found 'em on ebay at a steal - woohoo!) and read each in about 3 hours or so, even the last one. Yup, definitely my kid.

Linda said...

You must be so proud. That's a great project.