Sunday, March 30, 2008

It's Official...

The stomach flu has found me.

Whilst I'm dying, I'll ask a question of you all. Say you have a 16 yr old son who has a friend who has been doing some bad things like lying to his mother and saying he's sleeping at a friend's house when instead he goes with another friend (a troubled friend BAD) to a larger city 60 miles a way and gets drunk and parties and hooks up with his girlfriend and has sex. This past weekend he got in a fight while he was there, his friend may or may not have been stabbed. Yeah, so not good.

Now, while you are a neutral party and learned all this through your son's phone call and your son, would you feel compelled to tell the mother? Or would you leave it alone? Honestly, I don't know she'd give a rat's ass if I told her anyway. But, just... what would you do?

Okay, now I'm off to die in peace. Gah...

Oh, BTW, found this here...

The Blog-O-Cuss Meter - Do you cuss a lot in your blog or website?
Created by OnePlusYou

Imagine that.

8 People Gabbed:

Kristie (J) said...

That's a tough one - but being the mother of two sons, I would want to know if either of them were getting in that kind of trouble. My advice is to tell her.

Kristie (J) said...

Oh - and Anne, I hope you are feeling better soon!! Being sick bites.

Amie Stuart said...

My blog got 90%!!!!!!

Get well~~

AS to your dilemma...I dunno. That's a tough call especially if you feel like the mom won't care anyway. I'm more interested in what you say to YOUR son?

Anne said...

Kristie- Yeah, that was my first thought, tell the mom, but as you'll see below in my comment to Amie, is it worth it? Sigh.

Amie- I basically tell my son that I think his friend is an idiot, making so many stupid mistakes that could cost him big time. We talk openly and honestly about everything- this is how I know all these things about his friends. Truthfully, I don't know if the mother would do anything to the kid for doing what he's doing. We told her once about things he'd done including having girls come over there to have sex with them while the mom was at work on third shift, and she did discipline him then, but he's back to it again. Sigh. Seems like a lost cause, but do I give up on it? Or do I at least try? That's the question.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm a little better but not 100%.

Jenster said...

I'm sorry your not feeling well! Hope you're back to perfection soon.

I agree with Kristie. I'd want to know. May be a lost cause, but at least you did your part.

My blog is so Disneyland. I'm a little confused, though. I took the test a day or two ago and it told me 1.6%, but just now I did it and it said 0%. Whatever.

Anonymous said...

Eh, I rarely cuss so I'm not messing with the meter.

Regarding the problem, if it were me, I'd tell the mom. Whether she does anything or not, that's on her, but at least if the kid keeps heading down a bad road, you can know you at least tried to help.

That's all any of us can do.

Anonymous said...

I would tell the mom. If the kid got hurt, I would feel personally responsible if I knew the kid was doing dangerous things and didn't try to warn the mom.

Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

I would tell no matter what.