Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Finished Rescuing Sprite

by Mark Levin last week. This is a non-fiction accounting of the Levin family's rescue and too short life with a dog they called Sprite. Having rescued a dog ourselves, one that, like Sprite, turned out to be much older than originally guessed, I figured this book would reduce me to a puddle of tears. Not so much, although it was touching.

I don't plan to review it, but did want to share one scene that my fellow dog lovers here will appreciate. Better than any other, this passage reminded me of the depth of my love for Annie. In the book, Levin writes that Sprite often ended up sleeping at the top of the stairs, with a view of the moon-shadowed trees and river beyond the two-story windows. Mark Levin would often wake to her whimpers and yips as she dreamed, or the growls that resulted when the wind whipped up the shadows outside. When he did, he would go to the top of the stairs, lay down on the floor beside her and wrap his arms around her til she settled back into easy sleep.

I used to do that for Annie. Cradle her like a small child.

Oh how we love our fur babies, eh? Right to the heart.

3 People Gabbed:

Jennifer B. said...

Hmmmm, have to clarify. I'm not recalling whether Sprite was a girl or boy...thinking boy. No offense intended to Mr. Levin. I'm sure I was imposing my own thoughts and feelings about my Annie--a girl. Gist is the same though.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I can't count how many times I've slept on a cold, hard floor with my arms around one of my dogs when they're sick or scared (thunderstorms are always a trial). They are the best friends a girl could ever want, my guardians, my companions, my children. I respect and honor them enormously, and feel so blessed to have them--as we speak--curled up on the floor at my feet. One big, silly German Shepherd, and one solemn, ancient lab mix. They own my heart.

Jennifer B. said...

Awwww Shelby. I forgot what wonderful foot warmers they are too. LOL

The epitome of unconditional love.

Hope you are doing well!