Monday, February 25, 2008

The Email...
















I got an email from someone I don't know, but I opened it anyway as the subject was Megan Hart and everyone knows how I love Megan.

I opened it and what did I find? THIS...

hi
i came across your blog http://annescomments.blogspot.com and wondered if you'd like to exchange ebooks. i'm looking for ebooks by megan hart, mainly tempted, but would be pleased to read any you recommend. let me know if you're looking for a particular ebook. i may have it.
hope to hear from you.
cheers
XXX


See, I could have been mean and given you her name and email address even, but that's not my style. What did I do with this email you might ask? Well, seeing as Megan is one cool chick, I forwarded it to her. Oh, yes I did. I also asked Megan if I could reply to the author of said email and let her know that it was ILLEGAL to do such a thing. Megan, being the cool chick she is, said you betcha.

So, I did. My response?

Hi XXX,

First, do I know you?

Second, if I don't, I'm surprised you feel that comfortable asking a stranger to do something like this.

Thirdly, are you aware that it's illegal to exchange ebooks? That in doing so, you are harming the author's sales, and by doing that you putting the author's future book contracts with that publisher at risk? Because if that author doesn't have enough sales, they won't get another contract.

I'd advise you not to contact strangers like this regarding exchanging ebooks. It IS illegal and some people won't hesitate to contact the publisher regarding such matters. Me? I just contacted the author as she's a friend of mine. Not such a smart move on your part.

Sincerely,

Anne


See how nice I was?

5 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

I don't think people realize how harmful pirating ebooks can be. Even some of those who are 'aware' it's illegal, they don't see the harm.

But it does hurt writers. A cut in income is something anybody can see as harmful, and every pirated ebook adds up to a cut in income for the author.

Gail said...

Wow, emailing strangers to steal from authors.

Authors, especially ebook authors, seldom get a peek at the top of the food chain. Mostly we're so busy clipping coupons to glance up.

There has to be sales to make it worth our time to write. Feeding the family is the same issue for everyone. We like to feed them and don't really want shoes and clothes for the children to be optional. Know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

As an author AND a reader, I know this is common practice. Frustrating, but I honestly believe that until we inform people, most don't understand how harmful to us authors this is.

Anne said...

I wasn't one bit amused by the email. I was like... Sheesh! The nerve! And then I contacted my pal, Megan. This person might have done a tad bit of research of the blog before approaching me. Had they done so, they wouldn't have looked like such a dumbass. :-D

AuthorM said...

It was ballsy, that's for sure, and I thank Anne for standing up for me.

Some people simply don't know, it's the truth. Some people know and don't care.

I mean...I'm glad someone wants to read my books, but helloooooo! If Mama don't get paid, nobody gets new shoes.

Or something like that!