Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Horrendous days in Southern California


This is what all of Southern California looks like right now. My heart goes out to everyone who has lost their home, who has been evacuated, or who has been affected by this terrible tragedy in any way.

At last count, we had about 16 separate fires going. It seems that each year, fire season gets worse. We were camping this weekend up in the Ventura County mountains near Ojai, and when the winds picked up on Saturday afternoon, we thought about leaving, but didn't. Along about 9pm, it was pitch black, and all I could think of was, "This is fire weather. I don't want to be stuck up here in the mountains when it starts." So in the dark, we packed up our tent, our stuff and our kids, and we went home. I am so sad to say that I was right.

I've touched base with most of the SoCal bloggers, and everyone seems to be ok for now, thank goodness. I'd appreciate it if you all could keep good thoughts for Nikki, who is pretty much smack in the middle of the fires. And, bless her heart, she's sending her fire my way. School was cancelled for my kids today due to the unpredictability of the fires. IMO, they did it a day too early. We'll play it by ear for tomorrow.

Update: Just heard from Nikki, and she is doing fine, thank goodness. School is scheduled to be in session for us tomorrow, so we should be ok for now. The winds are dying down a bit. Keep your fingers crossed that our amazing firefighters can begin to get a handle on these nasty fires overnight. SoCal firefighters are simply the very best. They face this year after year, and each year, they head into these wildfires with amazing bravery and courage. Next time you see a firefighter in your neck of the woods, say a big thank you!

5 People Gabbed:

Anne said...

Huggies my friend! you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Anne... praying for rain in So. Cal.

Anonymous said...

How awful! I hope the fires die down. It is just so impossible to comprehend the scope of the fires from TV but the 500K evacuating kind of puts it in perspective. I'll keep you all in my prayers and hope a deluge comes and drowns out the fires.

Erin the Innocent said...

Keep safe Lori!

Rosie said...

Yeah pray for the wind to go away and the rain to fall. So glad you've been in touch with Nikki. I was happy to hear she's okay I hope things stay that way.

Jenster said...

You all are in my constant thoughts and prayers. I have a ton of family and friends in your area, but so far none of them have had to be evacuated.

Glad you're okay!